Direct drive trainers - Tacx Neo or Elite Drivo, which to choose?

2»

Comments

• Dodds49
    Dodds49 Posts: 12
    I've just read all the comments on the dc rainmaker drivo review page. Lots to consider there and deff worth reading through it all. It was good to see elite were commenting themselves and trying to help, also elite are releasing firmware updates which is good to see.

With any new turbo release there are always issues and I think that has affected all the top brands, kickr, neo and elite. Look on the neo forums and there are just as many issues.

It's wrong in this day and age but I think sometimes it's luck of the draw that the unit you get has issues or not. Also a lot of the problems people are having are hardware and setup problems with their own kit.

Still think the drivo has the ability to be a great trainer but also I'm still glad I bought it locally !!!!
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    Not sure what price you can get a cycleops hammer at Daniel, but I would also have a look at this. I had one of the broken Flux, changed it for Neo and waited 6 weeks for it to be delivered which no confirmed date so went for the Hammer. Very happy with it so far. Don't know how it compares to the Neo, but it was miles ahead of the Flux in terms of feel when using Zwift. Really didn't enjoy the Flux at all

I'm not sure if you are running a short or long cage rear derailleur but there could be clearance issues with the Neo if you do. One of the other reasons I didn't mind going for the hammer (also considered the Drivo) as a few of my bikes have the long cage and its nice having the option of popping any bike on without having to think about it.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Not sure what price you can get a cycleops hammer at Daniel, but I would also have a look at this. I had one of the broken Flux, changed it for Neo and waited 6 weeks for it to be delivered which no confirmed date so went for the Hammer. Very happy with it so far. Don't know how it compares to the Neo, but it was miles ahead of the Flux in terms of feel when using Zwift. Really didn't enjoy the Flux at all

I'm not sure if you are running a short or long cage rear derailleur but there could be clearance issues with the Neo if you do. One of the other reasons I didn't mind going for the hammer (also considered the Drivo) as a few of my bikes have the long cage and its nice having the option of popping any bike on without having to think about it.

Hi Dazz,

more and more pleased I have decided not to go for the Flux, a wise choice I think.

The Hammer is at least £105 (£970 versus £865) more than the already costly (to me) Neo, so I think I will stick where I am at present.
    I am using my Vortex, so am in no hurry, happy with it, just looking to get my gf onto a smart trainer, so thought the best approach was to upgrade one of them......... and she can have the Vortex 8)
    A selfless act of course.

If I was in a hurry, I would nab the Drivo for £800 without much additional thought.

I am fairly sure the two bikes I am most likely to use on it are short cage - what happens with long case, it fouls the casing if you are in the smallest gear\boggest cog or something?

EDIT: Holy moly, Amazon have just mailed to change the expected delivery date from April or May, to March 15th!
    Looks like the decision is almost certainly made then!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • dazz_ni45
    dazz_ni45 Posts: 468
    That's a bit of good news!
  • Dodds49
    Dodds49 Posts: 12
    Replacement Drivo has arrived and everything seems good.

Now sits perfectly square and stable and seemed to connect via Bluetooth straight away.

Only had a v quick try on zwift but gradients kick in very smoothly, v quiet compared to my old satori and it all feels like it should so all good !!!

Will test properly in the week.

Hope all goes well with your neo.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Dodds49 wrote:
    Replacement Drivo has arrived and everything seems good.

Now sits perfectly square and stable and seemed to connect via Bluetooth straight away.

Only had a v quick try on zwift but gradients kick in very smoothly, v quiet compared to my old satori and it all feels like it should so all good !!!

Will test properly in the week.

Hope all goes well with your neo.

Great news Dodds, look forward to hearing how you get on with it and your impressions.

Allegedly it's being dispatched Monday, somewhat spookily as is the 20" fan I ordered a couple of weeks ago. Might even turn up same day.
    Stupidly feeling a tad nervous, as hoping it will be trouble free and a noticable improvement over the Vortex. And aside from some bikes, it's the biggest cycle related purchase I have made.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18