Base layers- how tight?

luv2ride
luv2ride Posts: 2,367
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Most if not all of my baselayers are a tight fit. Just bought some Craft Windstopper base layers, but sized up based on several recommendations. However, they are a little looser on me than normal, the long sleeve especially so. Reasonably close fitting on the body, but looser on the arms. So, will this impair their wicking ability or not so much?
Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...

Comments

• bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    They should be reasonably close yes. But, assuming what you wear them under makes them close to the skin they'll still do the job. I do favour smaller rather than bigger for the reasons stated. But should be fine.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    I usually size down on base layers.
  • luv2ride
    edited March 2017
    Cheers. I've sized up from my normal size small in Craft as the front windstopper panel is reportedly not as stretchy as their other baselayers. The short sleeve is OK, still a reasonably close fit, but the long sleeve feels just a tad too big in comparison (looser arms, longer arms and longer body length) so think I'll return....Might replace the LS with a small if Merlin still have stock, or just stick with the short sleeve and pair with arm warmers when needed.
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    Super skin tight. I actually wear nike compression layers most of the time.
  • luv2ride
    DavidJB wrote:
    Super skin tight. I actually wear nike compression layers most of the time.
    Most of my others are compression fit, so thats probably why this Craft in medium feels so much looser.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I have exactly the same problem with the Craft Windstopper extreme. Quite a decent baselayer but the arms are too generous for my puny limbs, particularly at the wrists. Works ok as a Baselayer because most people would sweat more in other areas. I bought a Nalini hi-tech one for slighter warmer days (or at least ones without a very cold wind) and the fit is much better.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Tight like a tiger
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    As everyone has said, base layers are supposed to wick so they need to be figure hugging to do their stuff