Slipping Gear

Scotty-Gee
Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Annoyingly the winter bike has developed a slipping and skipping chain whilst in the little ring. I have replaced the chain for a new one despite the wear on the previous one not being excessive. I've replaced the small ring with a new one (although not a shimano part as finding a 34T 10 speed ultegra was impossible) but the problem persists- but perhaps not as bad as previous.

It's perfect in the big ring so I've removed any hub or cassette issues from the equation.

There can't be much else to change out. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,530
    Derailleur?
  • drwae
    drwae Posts: 223
    Do you have enough cable tension on the rear derailleur, I had this problem last week the chain links would skip on the sprockets when I was in the small chainring. I had enough cable tension to shift smoothly but not enough for the jockey wheel to clear fully.
    Half a turn of the barrel adjuster solved it.
    Two days later it was skipping again. Half a turn of the barrel adjuster again.
    Took it out for the club ride another day later and skipping again!
    The joys of new cables.
  • Scotty-Gee
    Scotty-Gee Posts: 156
    Its di2 so that's not the issue. It slips through the top range of the cassette not only in one.

Perhaps the chain is a link too though?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Is the chain designated unidirectional?
    You could have annotated your initial post with the hardware you are using... saves head scratching... it's only courteous to give as much detail as possible when posting problems in this part of the forum.

I dont use di2 so I am out on a practical basis.

If this was indeed mechanical... I'd be checking if only to rule out, any imperfect hanger alignment.
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    Bad chainline
    Loose crank
    Worn cassette
    Slipping freehub pawls
    Broken cassette carrier
    wheel not seated
    Bent crank spider
    Stiff chain link
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,521
    Bad seating on the cable/lever aperture
    Occluded cable guide underneath BB
    Worn chain
    Bent rear mech hanger
    Dirt
    Cable too short i.e the curve in the outer cable between the chain stay and the rear mech is too acute
    Worn bearings in freehub/hub
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Most likely a worn cassette
    Second suspect malfuncioning freehub pawls.