Removing air volume spacers - Fox Float 32

YellaBelly
YellaBelly Posts: 130
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm trying to understand the effects of air volume spacers and specifically removing one, or two from the Fox factory setting. If I've understood things right this should allow me to run a low sag (~15%) for a good firm beginning and mid-stroke on the fork for pedalling efficiency, whilst still achieving full travel on bigger impacts.
The bike is a 100mm full suss xc race bike and being used for exactly that purpose, hence wanting an efficient suspension performance. But, I'd rather not completely kill small bump sensitivity although a super plush ride isn't the main here.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Correct, yes, the air pressure in the sagged position will always be the same, if you remove a volume spacer you need a higher static pressure to achieve the same pressure with less sag but the spring rate will stay flatter through the travel.

The downside on a 100mm bike is you won't have much rebound travel (15mm) so on every negative feature the wheel won't follow the terrain as well, this can actually result in a harsher ride as the suspension looses control until the tyre contacts the surface again so it's (as always) a trade off.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.