Evans cycles - No longer give a British Cycling discount

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,870
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
Morning all,

I expect I would be turned down if I rang up, but thought I had heard of this happening, and wanted to find out if anyone had managed it either instore, or on the phone?

Evans have a turbo I would like to buy, but it's 10% cheaper elsewhere.

I also gather they generally honour a 10% BC discount, so wanted to workout if they would pricematch and then BC discount on top of that?

Thanks

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• daniel_b
    I have just e-mailed them, will update with the reply.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    As I understood Evans' policy around BC discount :

You get 10% off RRP on full priced items.
    Anything that is less than RRP you get discount to take it to 10% (so if it was £150 RRP, Evans price is £140, you would get it for 10% off RRP - £135)
    If it's already less than 10% off RRP then you get nothing extra.
  • daniel_b
    As I understood Evans' policy around BC discount :

You get 10% off RRP on full priced items.
    Anything that is less than RRP you get discount to take it to 10% (so if it was £150 RRP, Evans price is £140, you would get it for 10% off RRP - £135)
    If it's already less than 10% off RRP then you get nothing extra.

Cheers MOL, that's a shame - CRC and Halfords are both off whatever the current price is.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Naturally it all varies depending on the level of training the person serving you has - you may get more accidentally but you can't rely on it.
  • daniel_b
    Thank you for your e-mail.

Unfortunately we no longer provide 10% discounts for British Cycling Members.

But they will price match my Wiggle platinum price, which is something I guess.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Weird - I got a discount less than a fortnight ago in store (not saying which one in case they get educated lol)
  • daniel_b
    Weird - I got a discount less than a fortnight ago in store (not saying which one in case they get educated lol)

Guessing head office have made the decision, and it hasn't filtered down very well, and perhaps never will!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Well it was processed through the till - he even scanned a dedicated barcode for it... That said I'm sure it's only ever applied in store, so maybe HQ misunderstood?
  • daniel_b
    Well it was processed through the till - he even scanned a dedicated barcode for it... That said I'm sure it's only ever applied in store, so maybe HQ misunderstood?

Ah I don't know then - can't see how they could have misunderstood, I think I was pretty darned clear.

If you log onto the dashboard there is no mention of Evans discounts as a benefit, but if you search, it pulls back this from June or July last year:
    British Cycling has teamed up with Evans Cycles to give members monthly discounts for purchases online and in-store.

Evans Cycles offer a range of bikes, cycle clothing, accessories and parts, with over 400 of the biggest brands available.

New member offer coming soon.

Read more at https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/membe ... B0l1dXq.99

I am guessing it has died a death for whatever reason.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Man Of Lard
    Yup - when I enquired of BC they told me it was down to Evans website needing to be upgraded (it still does, as does their practice of charging immediately for pre-orders) - that page has been there since last January though.

When I asked in June I got this back from BC: "the Evans Cycles offer could take up to 4 weeks to go live"

So it's all a bit lacklustre in execution :D
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    I think all the shops have the authority to negotiate on price to a degree though - you can go in and ask for a discount for membership of the brussel sprout growers club and if they feel like giving you some discount they will just say yes. If they have a proper scheme that should gurantee the discount but even if they dont you may get something anyway.
  • grahamcp
    grahamcp Posts: 323
    I asked on live chat a couple of weeks ago, was told BC discount was available in store but not online. Haven't tried it out yet though!
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    I never even knew they did discount for BC - I've only ever used it at Halfords for Muc-off and inner tubes etc.

I know my local branch quite well, I'll probably ask if they will do it next time (no harm in asking!)