Shimano xt stiff shifting

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

I just fitted Shimano xt rear mech with xt shifters, now shifting is a bit stiff compare to my older setup specialy when clutch is On, I did replace inner cable but not the outer so this could be down to this, I got this all 2nd hand but everything has been striped down, cleaned and lubed, shifting is crisp but it does fill like takes lot more energy to go up in gears

Also not 100% sure if the chain is not to short, done as per shimano big big with out rear mech plus 2 links

20170302_194640_zpsymqvj96m.jpg

Regards
Ade

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If using old outer then make sure it is long enough for the mech in the small cog and check the cable moves through ot slickly. If fitting new inners just fit new outer it saves you doing the job twice.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • ade555
    It looks like will need to get new outers tomorrow to see if it changes.

What do you mean by to check in smallest? to make sure there is tension on chain?

Pic in smallest cog

20170302_215835_zpslom2oqlp.jpg
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    Take the cover off the clutch part of the derailleur and try adjust it this, it might help or might not.

I would too try a slightly longer outer cable piece from your frame to your rear derailleur you cant have this too tight and could be the cause of the stiff shifting.
  • ade555
    I have sorted my problem, looks like there was a problem with my cable routeing under top tube, one of the outers wasn't pushed in in to hole correctly, feels lot better now, I don't have torque wrench with small settings mine smallest starts at 20nm so don't want to touch that clutch just incase is set to correct torque.
  • That chain does look short.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    bluemoon81 wrote:
    That chain does look short.

Agreed, onsmallest cog the arm should be closer to casette.....although if it works fine then leave it
  • If that's a 1x system, I would not be comfortable with that chain length. If it's a 3x and the first picture is big-big, than it's perfectly fine.
  • ade555
    If that's a 1x system, I would not be comfortable with that chain length. If it's a 3x and the first picture is big-big, than it's perfectly fine.

That is 1x system. Also added 2 link now.