Turbo roller wear

the_chief15
the_chief15 Posts: 64
I picked up a cheap turbo on sale in Aldi, after around 90 mins of interval training on it the roller has a tyre shaped groove worn into it

32389290893_7fcae01def_n.jpg

I'm assuming this is not normal.

Is this user error, too light or heavy contact with the wheel? Does tyre pressure make any difference?
Or is this just the pitfall of buying cheap?

Comments

• markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    Can't see the image but I've heard of just that before in relation to the Aldi trainer. I think it's just crap.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    That doesn't look right to me, I would take it back. There are better quality turbos out there for not a lot of money.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Blimey. Yeah I don't think that's fit for purpose. Take it back - they're usually good for refunds.

A lot of their kit is great value. Er - this isn't.
  • markhewitt1978
    markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
    How much was it? About £50 or so I think? In any case that shouldn't happen.

But you can get the Tacx Blue Matic Smart from Halfords for £99 which is good value and reports power/speed etc.
  • I think they were £60-70 when they first got them in. I picked it up when they were selling off the last couple for £25, only reason I took a chance on it.
  • myideal
    myideal Posts: 231
    I think some people have had similar issues, guess that is why it's been sold of so cheap.

Cycling will be back in Aldi soon I bet.
  • The offending item has now returned to Aldi, replaced with a tacx blue matic.