Zwift volcano climb

markhewitt1978
markhewitt1978 Posts: 7,614
The volcano climb on Zwift was opened up this morning, which completes the volcano extension part of Watopia. It's a 406ft climb which is basically straight up and straight down again, with a few flat bits on the way.

As far as I can tell there are no default routes to take you up there so you have to make a manual turn.

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    so whats it like ???? .... after todays morning race I am looking forward to a recovery day tomorrow so a short climbing route sounds ideal to stretch the legs out
  • markhewitt1978
    fat daddy wrote:
    so whats it like ???? .... after todays morning race I am looking forward to a recovery day tomorrow so a short climbing route sounds ideal to stretch the legs out

I've only just briefly watched people do it as I'm at work! To be fair, it's pretty much as you would expect and no real surprises. It spirals up, it goes through a tunnel at one point, then you reach the metal hoop at the top and you loop around and go back down - the same as you do with the tower climb.

Perhaps I'm being cynical but I was hoping for a little more, e.g. a super narrow road which makes it feel quite precarious - nope, it's the same wide roads you have normally, and some gamification perhaps with an option to drop into the volcano instead of riding down, but no.
  • fat daddy
    ah well, it will be worth the odd hit to keep the interest going in some of the longer rides ... kind of hoping some more early morning group rides start appearing that use the volcano
  • markhewitt1978
    fat daddy wrote:
    ah well, it will be worth the odd hit to keep the interest going in some of the longer rides ... kind of hoping some more early morning group rides start appearing that use the volcano

More road options are always a good thing. Watopia is getting to a size now were you wouldn't realistically do all of it in a single ride - which is very different to how it was in the past. Still; I hope for further developments yet, a new way up the mountain for example.
  • Rode it earlier. Was pretty good. Similar difficulty to the Box climb I guess except it's got a few little flat and downhill sections thrown in there. Some cool scenery.

No auto routing option yet. You need to ride over to the Volcano then choose the turn up the side, a bit odd that they didn't include a route on the menu. Would be cool to have a "Volcano CCW + Climb" route option. I'd ride that!
  • fat daddy
    yeah, I had a stroll up it this morning .... I also found it to be the Boxhill climb of Watopia ... a bit easier but similar enough ... mostly I like the location though, if you are strapped for time its nice to have so close to the start/finish .. or to throw in at the end of the ride if you have a spare 15 mins
  • markhewitt1978
    fat daddy wrote:
    yeah, I had a stroll up it this morning ...

You passed me coming down as I was on my way up!
  • fat daddy

You passed me coming down as I was on my way up!

if the climb was any longer you would have passed me on the way up ... after yesterday mornings race, this morning my legs just would not produce any more than 160w ... I was completely fooked ... noticed you 4 mins down the hill and even though I still had a mile to go it made me start crying that I wouldn't make it :D

edit .... you had ZVA or something after your name ? ..... whats that all about ?
  • markhewitt1978
    fat daddy wrote:
    edit .... you had ZVA or something after your name ? ..... whats that all about ?

It's a reference to this facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1506713749639637/
  • fat daddy
    ah, yes the venting area, I should have known that really .... see quite a few of your posts on there !
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Did the volcano loop yesterday and didnt know this was open till i got back...