LS base layers

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited March 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm a Craft fan but their latest active extreme 2.0 isn't as nice as their older versions, so I'm toying with the idea of trying something else.

Recommendations?

I don't want merino. Okay? Whatever you do, don't go on about merino. Okay?
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,422
    I can't wear Merino for more than 32.7 seconds. Can't stand the itchyness!

I like these: Under Armour Coldgear Long Sleeve Compression tops. Nice tight fit and warm too. Fits nicely under a jersey. I've even worn arm warmers over the top of these sleeves on very cold days

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,619
    Helly Hansen?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Aldi. Probably the best price/performance base layers out there, IMO.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Nike Pro Combat is all I ever wear now, best I've tried by a mile (including Craft). If you have a Nike Factory Outlet store anywhere near you they can be had as little as £8. Wiggle used to sell them but don't seem to anymore. I also hate Merino.
  • jme4
    jme4 Posts: 20
    Plus one for Nike Pro Combat.

Also Tesco long sleeve thermal top.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    re. the Nike top, what size chest are you and what size base fits?

I'm 40inch chest which puts me at the top of medium or the bottom of large
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • I wear Planet X base layers. Have numerous long and short sleeve versions and find they work very well in spring/autumn and Winter. Usually ride in all but the very coldest of days with just the base layer and a Castelli mortirolo jacket. For the price they can be picked up for, <£10 worth a punt.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    maddog 2 wrote:
    re. the Nike top, what size chest are you and what size base fits?

I'm 40inch chest which puts me at the top of medium or the bottom of large

I've got a 38" chest, the small is a snug fit and medium a bit more generous. I think I prefer the fit of the small.
  • lakesluddite
    lakesluddite Posts: 1,337
    Imposter wrote:
    Aldi. Probably the best price/performance base layers out there, IMO.

I've had numerous LS baselayers from Aldi over the years, and have only just thrown a couple out after they started to whiff a bit - but as I say this is after years of use. It's a good job they last so long, as their policy now is to just ignore men who wear size small (grr..), but with a 40" chest you should be okay.

Of course the only issue is you have to wait for a cycling (or outdoor wear, running wear) 'event' for them to be in stock. Oh, and live near an Aldi. Or Lidl (essentially the same thing).
  • gimpl
    gimpl Posts: 269
    trek_dan wrote:
    Nike Pro Combat is all I ever wear now, best I've tried by a mile (including Craft). If you have a Nike Factory Outlet store anywhere near you they can be had as little as £8. Wiggle used to sell them but don't seem to anymore. I also hate Merino.

I'll make a shout for the Kooga compression tops that are very similar to these Nike ones only cheaper (at normal price).