All volume spacers work with all forks ?

chrisrahi9
chrisrahi9 Posts: 41
edited March 2017 in MTB general
Well, about two weeks ago I bought a commençal semi rigid enduro bike that comes supposedly should come with a marzocchi 350 R model with 160 mm of travel. Now this specific fork is a coil fork and has no compression adjustment just an air preload adjuster and a rebound adjuster. Surprisngly I got a bike with a slightly higher end fork! The fork was a 2016 Marzocchi 350 CR (160mm) which is an air fork and has compression adjustability. At first I couldn't believe my eyes but after searching the internet and checking the Marzocchi website I am now sure that the fork is a 350 CR and not 350 R. Plus that it's written on the fork CR and not R. Now since this fork that I got is an foek I decided to add some volume spacers but it really is hard to find smtg on the internet for Marzocchi here in Sweden. I found however blue volume spacers for fox 36 fork model year 2015 on a german site. Will these blue volume spacers work on my 2016 350 CR fork? (PS: my fork has 35 mm stanchions whereas the 36 fork has 36 mm, don't know if that does anything but anyways worth saying)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No idea, but i doubt it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No, the RS tokens screw into the underside of the air valve so they aren't sitting on top of the air piston and scraping up and down the inside of the stanchion.

You can try and blob of grease, it will 'stick' up inside the air Spring once it's been pushed up by the piston.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You can also remove the air valve core and add some oil. Crude, but works (though start small, 5ml at a time)
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Why? The last thing the 350CR need is volume reducers. If anything it ramps up too harshly already and could use more volume, not less. There's no way to fit volume reducers but if you really want even worse ramp up then put some fairly thick grease in the air chamber, it has the same effect.
    If you want to improve it, take out the rigid oil seals in the lowers and replace them with foam seals from a Rockshox Boxxer. It massively reduces stiction and improves sensitivity.
    It's a decent enough fork once you get it sorted but with the standard oil seals it's really horrible on long decents. Mine was so bad that by the end of the second day of alpine riding, my hands and wrists were properly painful. Fortunately, one of our group was a suspension technician for a well known bicycle suspension tuner and he knew that changing the seals would sort it.
  • Why? The last thing the 350CR need is volume reducers. If anything it ramps up too harshly already and could use more volume, not less. There's no way to fit volume reducers but if you really want even worse ramp up then put some fairly thick grease in the air chamber, it has the same effect.
    If you want to improve it, take out the rigid oil seals in the lowers and replace them with foam seals from a Rockshox Boxxer. It massively reduces stiction and improves sensitivity.
    It's a decent enough fork once you get it sorted but with the standard oil seals it's really horrible on long decents. Mine was so bad that by the end of the second day of alpine riding, my hands and wrists were properly painful. Fortunately, one of our group was a suspension technician for a well known bicycle suspension tuner and he knew that changing the seals would sort it.

Yeah i see. Thanks for the advice!