Specialized Diverge 56cm or 58cm frame?

vacantplanets
vacantplanets Posts: 3
edited July 2018 in Road beginners
Hi everyone,

I am pretty new to cycling and have been using a vintage fixie for my London commute for the best part of 5 months and I'm after an upgrade so I can have more versatility in my rides however I choose. The Specialized Diverge is likely to be the bike of choice as as they have really taken my fancy.

However, I'm really unsure as to what size to get as I've heard numerous different opinions on the sizing. I was recently measured by Evans Cycles and they told me I am spot on for a 56cm bike frame, but I've read that Specialized bikes fit rather small and are quite compact. The lady in store also said for Specialized people do have a tendency to size up. For the record I am 6ft and have quite long legs with a short-medium length torso.

Does anyone have any advice on what might be the best fitting for me? Is this whole compact fitting a bunch of nonsense or is there something to it? Has anyone got a Specialized bike and happen to be a similar height to me and can advise?

Thanks in advance,

Miles

Comments

• I am also 6ft with in my case a 33" inside leg.I am at the top end of 56cm and the bottom end of 58cm.I bought the 58cm because I have an inflammatory back condition which requires a higher riding position,the 58cm having a longer head tube.

The bike came with a 110mm stem which I swopped out for a 90mm 0deg stem to achieve my normal bike fit.

Been using my Diverge all winter,still not sure about disc brakes!
  • Would you say that with my circumstances the 56 would be the better option? I'm not overly keen on too much of an upright position, but then again, i dislike an overly 'aero' back either.
  • Diverge is not particularly aero,having same geometry as a Roubaix which is an endurance bike.You could always tinker with stem length and seatpost set back to get your position correct on the 56cm.

No substitute for at least sitting on them at the dealers,something like a Specialized Concept store might have them on display.

I have been very impressed with my Diverge which is my winter bike.Only negative is that I have the A1 version and whatever Specialized say you can't get a 35c to fit between the chain stays at the rear.
  • Spesh concept stores always used to let people have test bikes for a week most seemed to hwve 56s.

FWIW I am 6ft 30.5 inside leg and fit a 58 roubaix perfectly - I am old and fat though so upright suits me.
  • dhungerf
    dhungerf Posts: 65
    I'm 5' - 11", 32" inseam and ride the 56.
  • imafatman
    imafatman Posts: 351
    I'm not expert so take this with a grain of salt but at 190cm so technically fit a larger frame - however I have found it much easier to adapt a smaller frame to be comfortable than a larger frame. So I've usually ended up with frames perhaps slightly too small for my height rather than one slightly too big.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    at 5'11" I'm short compared to most of you lot ... and I ride a 56 allez - I also ride a 56 tricross which I found too short on predominantly road rides - so put a 110mm stem on.

Long legs short torso you could probably work with the smaller frame - but it's worth getting on one to try - even if it's not the model you want, try one with the same geometry. Plenty of Specialized retailers out there ...
  • tyw214
    tyw214 Posts: 52
    Diverge tends to run "smaller" than the advertised size... i am only 168cm with inseam of 77cm, and I ride a 52 Diverge o-o... my CAAD12 is a 48...
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    183cm, 32" inseam, 56 with 110mm stem.

All my bikes have been 56, can get lower, more aero, lighter, look better.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    one of my work colleagues , who is about 6ft, has got a 58, but he's always said he reckons a 56 would have been a better fit.
  • n733lk
    n733lk Posts: 44
    I'm looking at the Roubaix, which has the same geometry as the Diverge. I've been borrowing a 56 Roubaix from a friend, but have been told by my Fitter that I need a 52. With the 56, I'm experiencing pain in my lower back and shoulders. I'm a very tall 5'6".
  • phased
    phased Posts: 1
    hi all, similar predicament here. 6'0 / 183cm tall, 32.5" / 82.5cm inseam. regular proportions (as in, not particularly long torso or legs). looking for a commuter bike, mostly for short and snappy rides along paths, both finished and gravel.

test rode the new specialized diverge (alloy - E5 comp) some time ago in 54cm (only size at shop) and felt good but well small. tried a roubaix in 56cm (was told similar geometry) and felt much better size-wise.

managed to hunt down a size 58cm diverge today and gave it a quick spin (unfortunately couldn't ride the 56 side by side). interestingly enough, despite being 6' tall, both guys at the specialized shop eyeballed me as a 56. given they only had a 58 in stock, can't knock them for their honesty!

that aside, the 58 definitely didn't feel 'too big' as i was expecting.. the cockpit felt good but i did feel markedly more upright. certainly more than i'm used to. not sure how i feel about this. i'm no expert but i believe the geometry of the diverge is already quite relaxed (by road standards at least) so wondering if the larger size doesn't mean i'm a little too upright.

i am leaning towards the 56 but the OCD in me doesn't like the fact that for my height, i'm on the very outer range for this size.

what are my 6'0 brothers (give or take) riding? any advice is appreciated.

edit: not sure if these are the critical dimensions but the 56 has a reach / stack of 379mm / 613mm whereas the 58 has only slightly more reach (+6mm) but a fair chunk more stack (+26mm). assuming i ride both with 110mm stem (the 56 comes with 100mm and the 58 110mm), i should feel markedly less upright on the lower frame, correct? i suppose there are other critical dimensions i am missing but this alone is making me feel more comfortable with the 56cm. thoughts?

it is worth nothing that both the reach on all sizes seems to be really small, and the stack relatively tall (by road standards at least). cheers
  • 27brad72
    27brad72 Posts: 4
    I am 6ft with 35" inseam so like you long legs and short torso. I was riding a 58cm Scott but it always felt too long so had to install a short stem and compact handlebars with less reach. I recently bought a Specialized Tarmac and went for the 56cm which feels so much better. Since I have the seat post almost all the way out I fitted the S-Works Aerofly bars with the 25mm rise which gives me about an 8cm saddle to bar drop which is very comfortable and have a 105mm stem fitted so plenty of room to stretch out more down the track. You can make a small bike bigger but it's hard to make a big bike smaller.
  • d00d4h
    d00d4h Posts: 67
    I'm 5' 11 and a bit (closer to 6', but I don't round up). I have a 56cm 2010 Secteur.
    I recently tried (sat on) a 58cm Diverge and it fit fine.
    The 56cm Diverge has a smaller reach than the Secteur, so they seem a little more 'compact'. The reach on the 58 Diverge is slightly bigger than my Secteur.
    FWIW, the bloke in the shop seemed a little surprised that I fit the 58.
    I think I'm right on the borderline between 56/58, and either would probably be OK.