Quarq ShockWiz...

Angus Young
Angus Young Posts: 3,063
edited March 2017 in MTB general
What do we think?

I'm sure most of you know exactly what this is by now, but here are a few links...

http://singletrackworld.com/2016/11/vid ... -shockwiz/

You can skip the reading and go straight to the vid. The guy from SRAM is a pretty good talker.

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/quarq-sho ... -2017.html

http://enduro-mtb.com/en/quarq-shockwiz ... ystem-yet/

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/categ ... iew-51032/

Unfortunately none of the above seem to have had enough time on the device yet to draw any meaningful conclusions.

Being a suspension ignoramus who owns a ludicrously expensive bike (ludicrous for someone of my limited ability) and is, therefore, throwing money down a big black hole given that my suspension tune is probably miles off where it should be, this really appeals to me. Then again, £350?! One one hand, it might be justified if it gives me more return for what I spent on my bike. On the other... £350!

So, what do we think?
All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607

Comments

• I believe it is a great tool for the bike shop or local club. Especially for new riders. It would be great if you could hire it for a weekend. I do not think it needs to be part of your kit but some people will buy it. (Some people drive Farrari's!) I have just tuned my shock to give a better ride and it is 3 years old, dropped some psi - just enough so as I never bottom out at my local. I think shocks are made to be adjusted. You always learn and change what you prefer or where you ride. Believe me I think it is a great tool and good for our sport but I do believe many riders will choose their own tune over what the shock whiz says. Still I want one (even just to try out)! Plus you will be popular with your mates when you own a Shock Whiz :)
    Stay positive people :)
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Perfect for setting up an ebike.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    for £360 it can stay in the shop. I'm happy with my cane creek app to adjust the suspension. can't do much with pike but I'm pretty happy with it now the lufftkape is installed. Its a shame the sussmyride unit has taken so long to get off the ground given it can be used with a lot more products than the shockwiz can
  • If you're anywhere near the Surrey Hills, get in touch with Liam @ Surreyhills Suspension (see FB page) and hire 1 or 2 sensors for a day or weekend. This is what I did last Saturday and a 3hr ride around Mickleham, mixing up the terrain to cover the sort of riding I do 90% of the time was enough to get a '100% confidence' output (the apps terminology - not mine!) for a optimised set up.

I think Liam is working on the structure of his pricing, which will be dictated by how much input or analysis you need from him. While the app is very user-friendly, what does take some effort is the initial set up - as you have to cycle the shock/forks without air and then go through a program of 'new sessions' after every adjustment made on the trail. That said is is fun to use and it's satisfying going through the suggestions to complete the data set. Extra brownie points for how many 'Deep Compression Events' you can rack up!
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Given that once you've got your suspension set up "correctly" it's probably unlikely you'll go changing it. So, maybe you could buy it and loan it out to people for a small fee and recoup your investment.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • concorde
    concorde Posts: 1,008
    A mate is hiring one for a week so few of us are chipping in and having it for a day each. Couple of questions:

Is there any point for me as only adjustments I can make are air in, rebound. Compression is firm or open so never touch it?

Secondly I lock it out on climbs, shock and fork so am I better off only gathering data on the way down when I use my suspension as some videos say not to alter the compression setting, open firm or ctd etc.

Thanks
  • Wooderson
    Wooderson Posts: 27
    Concorde wrote:
    A mate is hiring one for a week so few of us are chipping in and having it for a day each. Couple of questions:

Is there any point for me as only adjustments I can make are air in, rebound. Compression is firm or open so never touch it?

Secondly I lock it out on climbs, shock and fork so am I better off only gathering data on the way down when I use my suspension as some videos say not to alter the compression setting, open firm or ctd etc.

Thanks

I think you'd still get some useful feedback from experimenting with it. You might, for example, be way off on your air pressures or sag levels. Even without low/hi speed comp/rebound adjustment, the app can also advise on whether token/volume spacers/bands would help for the shock or fork.

It might be worth seeing what the app say when climbing with the dampers fully open or with a damping platform engaged. The app can give you a rating on the propensity for bobbing etc. Note that for each 'session' you run with the app you'll need to take screen shots of the results, and take notes of your adjustments, as it doesn't have a memory facility.

Have fun!
  • concorde
    Cheers bud. For a tenna for the day I'll give it a whirl...
  • Angus Young
    Concorde wrote:
    A mate is hiring one for a week so few of us are chipping in and having it for a day each.

Where are you hiring from?
  • concorde
    Concorde wrote:
    A mate is hiring one for a week so few of us are chipping in and having it for a day each.

Where are you hiring from?

Think he said Leisure Lakes. 60 quid for a week plus delivery on top. All chip in a tenner and got a day each, not bad.
  • concorde
    It's from 18 Bikes ltd.
  • Angus Young
    Concorde wrote:
    It's from 18 Bikes ltd.

Thanks.
  • concorde
    Do you think it's better to try it on a variety of stuff or set it up on usual stuff I ride as a Base then try other stuff to see what adjustments I can make on the fly depending on what riding that day?
  • Angus Young
    Concorde wrote:
    Do you think it's better to try it on a variety of stuff or set it up on usual stuff I ride as a Base then try other stuff to see what adjustments I can make on the fly depending on what riding that day?

By the sound of what I've read, you just need to give it as good a workout as you can with whatever terrain you have access to.

Report back once you've had your go. I'd love to know if you think it made a worthwhile difference to your set up.
  • concorde
    Concorde wrote:

By the sound of what I've read, you just need to give it as good a workout as you can with whatever terrain you have access to.

Report back once you've had your go. I'd love to know if you think it made a worthwhile difference to your set up.

Will report back. Have bike park wales up the road so got variety there.
  • Angus Young
    Concorde wrote:
    Have bike park wales up the road...

You lucky boy!
  • concorde
    Used it all day yesterday. Very helpful on the whole. Running too much air in fork and shock. Used the 'aggressive' tune style to make it as soft as possible. Couple of bottom out moments and that's where I don't get a couple of readings because it still told me to remove spacers, none left to take out?! And where it records 'deep compression events' mine always read 0 which wasn't the case as I felt the bottoming out incidents.