Forum home Road cycling forum Workshop

How do I know when brake discs need replacing?

mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,424
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Apologies for a probably stupid question, but I'm a novice as far as disc brakes are concerned.

How do I know when the pads need replacing? The brakes are TRP Spyres. It's pretty much impossible to get any visual idea with the pads on the bike as far as I can tell, particularly as I've got a rack and mudguards on.

Do they start making a grinding noise like car discs do or should I be taking the pads off occasionally to inspect them?

• smoggystevesmoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    When you fail to stop
  • mrb123mrb123 Posts: 3,424
    When you fail to stop

Thanks for the advice. I've managed to stop so far so they must be OK.
  • zefszefs Posts: 484
    The manual states that you need to replace them when they reach 0.8mm so you should check them often as it's dangerous to use them past that point.
  • can you not look from the underside of the caliper ( armed with torch if needed ) to check for general pad thickness if inspection from above is problematic.

once they get really low then they will be best checked out of the caliper ( or changed out if you think they are that low )

if still not easily visible then a wheel out may give you a better view of the pads too & may be quicker than removing the pads to check them.
  • cyclecliniccycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I have a rack and guard on my bike and i manage to see the ammount of pad left.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
    can you not look from the underside of the caliper ( armed with torch if needed ) to check for general pad thickness if inspection from above is problematic.

once they get really low then they will be best checked out of the caliper ( or changed out if you think they are that low )

if still not easily visible then a wheel out may give you a better view of the pads too & may be quicker than removing the pads to check them.

Thanks, I think I'll have another look later with a torch and maybe then consider taking them off. I'm going to need to learn how to remove and replace them sooner or later!
  • oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,727
    Go on park tools website or type into youtube the task you want to do and low and behold there will be loads of easy to follow clips.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
    oxoman wrote:
    Go on park tools website or type into youtube the task you want to do and low and behold there will be loads of easy to follow clips.

Will do, thanks.

I found this article which seems to be a fairly easy to follow description of what to do

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/accident ... liper/amp/