Is a Trek Crossrip with 32mm tyres at 80psi unsuitable for tracks with obstacles?

johngwheeler
johngwheeler Posts: 35
edited February 2017 in Cyclocross
Hi,

I've recently bought my first bike, a Trek Crossrip Elite, which although marketed as a Cyclocross bike, is probably more accurately described as a "rugged road-bike / commuter with some off-road capability".

I attempted to follow a local single-track route shown on Google Maps as a cycle path, but ended up abandoning the route because it had a lot more rocks, tree roots and other obstacles than I felt comfortable with on this bike.

My Trek has 700x32mm Bontrager HD5 tyres with some grip, but not the knobbly MTB type. It also seems to have quite high tyre pressures - I'm not sure exactly how much because I don't yet have a floor pump with a gauge, but the tyres are rated at 80psi - quite high for offroad use I think.

I found the ride pretty bumpy over uneven terrain (with twigs, gravel etc.), although it's bearable if I get out of the saddle and don't go too fast.

So my question is whether the Trek Crossrip is not really a Cyclocross bike capable of serious offroad use, and whether I would be better off keeping it as a rugged road-bike that is OK of relatively smooth off-road tracks or grass?

My current feeling is that if I want to pursue more serious off-road pursuits with a drop-bar bike, that I will eventually need to upgrade to a more serious dedicated Cyclocross bike, that has the spec to take more punishment.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

John.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    The pressure mentioned is the max. You dont need to run it at that. I wouldnt.

Depends on the obstacles really and how competent a rider you are?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    edited February 2017
    Im sure the bike is ok tyre abit narrow...

Have you seen this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

I'd buy some 35m - 37mm cx tryes if the bike frame has clearance

For psi 20 - 35 psi depends on the route etc...
  • cougie wrote:
    The pressure mentioned is the max. You dont need to run it at that. I wouldnt.

Depends on the obstacles really and how competent a rider you are?

Thanks; I imagined the 80psi was the max pressure, but at present I have no idea what it's set at (it feels pretty hard). I'm getting a floor pump tomorrow, so then I'll find out!

Are there any issues with running at a lower tyre pressure on roads, if I'm going somewhere where it will mostly be offroad? Say 30-40psi? Presumably it will be slower, but I'm wondering what the minimum is to avoid possible damage to rims.

BTW, I am a newbie rider, so have almost no reference points apart from occasional rides on a MTB with 52mm tyres.

John
  • Theres nothing wrong with the bike. Your pressures are just way too high. Try somewhere nearer 30. And expect it to feel a bit weird over bumps too as its obviously a rigid framed bike. You have to get used to riding the bumps with your whole body.

As for mixing road and track on one ride, and the correct tire pressures for that, it will always be a compromise and you have to decide the best pressures on experience. I commute to work 50/50 road then towpath and i put up with sluggishness on the road for speed and comfort on the towpath part.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    Im sure the bike is ok tyre abit narrow...

Have you seen this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZmJtYaUTa0

I'd buy some 35m - 37mm cx tryes if the bike frame has clearance

For psi 20 - 35 psi depends on the route etc...

Wow! The video is amazing...so need for a CX bike then :-) That is some serious mastery of bike control.

Bigger tyres may be the solution. I'm pretty sure the frame would accept at least 38mm, which I could run at much lower pressure presumably.

I've already got my bike set up as a commuter / touring bike with rack, panniers & kick-stand, so it's already not very "off-road" in appearance (and weight! although I don't practice with the panniers fitted :-) ).

Maybe I should just look at a fun-oriented "mud bike" for the rough stuff....and here was I thinking that "one bike would surely be enough". I'm in no hurry though. Plenty of time to learn the ropes.

Cheers,

John
  • Jterrier wrote:
    Theres nothing wrong with the bike. Your pressures are just way too high. Try somewhere nearer 30. And expect it to feel a bit weird over bumps too as its obviously a rigid framed bike. You have to get used to riding the bumps with your whole body.

As for mixing road and track on one ride, and the correct tire pressures for that, it will always be a compromise and you have to decide the best pressures on experience. I commute to work 50/50 road then towpath and i put up with sluggishness on the road for speed and comfort on the towpath part.

I bought a floor pump and according to the gauge, my pressures are much lower than 80psi after 2 weeks of ownership (without pumping); after an offroad ride around a park, they seemed closer to 45psi.

I noticed the tyre (Bontrager HD5 hard-case 700x32) states a minimum pressure of 60psi.

How important is it to respect these minimums? I've set it to 50psi to see how it goes, but I don't want to dramatically increase my risk of flats.

Thanks,

John