Giant contact dropper post

mathematics
mathematics Posts: 453
edited February 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all.

2 'problems' really, so any advice would be gladly received.

1 - the post seems to 'stick' slightly on dropping =- anything I can do or is this the nature of the beast?

2 - the post is rotating in the seat tube. Not sure if this is the dropper rotating within itself or the post rotating in the tube. Any advice? The QR clamp is tight to the pointer ripping my hand to bits!!

Thanks in advance.

Chris

Comments

• JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    1. Try lubing the post with something like 'Fork Juice'. It will also remove some of the crud that will have collected in the neck of the outer tube.
    The problem could also be related to your second problem: If the qr is too tight it will exert excess pressure on the outer tube of the dropper post, effectively crushing it and restricting the travel.

2. Did you use gripper paste when you fitted the post? You should have cleaned any grease out of the seat tube and applied gripper paste to the shaft of the dropper before fitting it.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    1. Try lubing the post with something like 'Fork Juice'. It will also remove some of the crud that will have collected in the neck of the outer tube.
    The problem could also be related to your second problem: If the qr is too tight it will exert excess pressure on the outer tube of the dropper post, effectively crushing it and restricting the travel.

2. Did you use gripper paste when you fitted the post? You should have cleaned any grease out of the seat tube and applied gripper paste to the shaft of the dropper before fitting it.

Thank you that makes a lot of sense - not used gripper paste as its just as the LBS fitted it.

How can I take the post out? Do I need to take the cable out?
  • JBA
    You should be able to feed the cable through as you remove the seat post.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JBA wrote:
    You should be able to feed the cable through as you remove the seat post.

OK thanks is it easy to rethread if i screw up and pull it all the way through?
  • JBA
    There should be enough exposed cable at the front of the bike to allow you to remove the seat post and unhook the cable from the bottom of the post.
    Have a look HERE for how it fits together.