What bike frame to buy?

Chewique
Chewique Posts: 7
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
So. I need a bike frame for racing on the road and for going on long hilly rides. I want to just buy the frame so i can build it up my self. Any ideas of what frame?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What have you got now and what do you like about it?
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    You're going to have to narrow this down a bit.
    Budget?
    Discs or not?
    Carbon, aluminium, steel, titanium?
  • MrB123 wrote:
    You're going to have to narrow this down a bit.
    Budget?
    Discs or not?
    Carbon, aluminium, steel, titanium?

I have about £1500 for the frame tops.
    not disks
    and carbon or aluminium.
  • cougie wrote:
    I currently have a principia rex. I love it because its so light and nimble and no one knows what it is!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Chewique wrote:
    cougie wrote:
    I currently have a principia rex. I love it because its so light and nimble and no one knows what it is!

Hang on to that - it sounds great..
  • Imposter wrote:
    Chewique wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Im planning to mount it on my new workshop wall!
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have a look at Paul Milnes. Usually a decent place to go for frames. For example
    http://www.paulmilnescycles.com/ridley- ... 3984-p.asp
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Chewique wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Chewique wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Im planning to mount it on my new workshop wall!

No, what I meant was keep riding it.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    CAAD12.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • Nothing wrong with a Principa. But yes. CAAD. 10 or 12, or old school USA. Of all the bikes I have, or have had, or have tried, the CAAD10 remains first choice for a good, hard spin. I own a hi-mod SuperSix, which is a little more comfortable and a fair bit lighter, but it just doesn't beg to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck in the same way. A CAAD builds up light, geometry in my size is properly sorted, looks great, and can be had cheaply enough that your budget could grab some really, really nice wheels.

KCNC finishing kit, and a K-alloy uno stem, reasonably light saddle, Ultegra or equivalent, a second hand SiSL or five-arm SL-K and decent wheels will see you into 7kg without spending loads.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Nothing wrong with a Principa. But yes. CAAD. 10 or 12, or old school USA. Of all the bikes I have, or have had, or have tried, the CAAD10 remains first choice for a good, hard spin. I own a hi-mod SuperSix, which is a little more comfortable and a fair bit lighter, but it just doesn't beg to be grabbed by the scruff of the neck in the same way. A CAAD builds up light, geometry in my size is properly sorted, looks great, and can be had cheaply enough that your budget could grab some really, really nice wheels.

KCNC finishing kit, and a K-alloy uno stem, reasonably light saddle, Ultegra or equivalent, a second hand SiSL or five-arm SL-K and decent wheels will see you into 7kg without spending loads.

It's what you need for road racing.
    It's about as 'cheap' as it gets for a competitive build
    Sourcing a new CAAD10 frameset is a bit tricky now.. 2nd hand .. well plenty there on Ebay.
    CAAD12 if I was looking to replace my CAAD10.
    Race trim on my CAAD10 is 7kg.
    You are not losing out in races for the sake of 500 to 700 grams of bike build are you? Even those amateurs who rock up having spent the dosh on something well below the limit still have to have the fitness engine to make use of a (very) slight advantage.
    Having said that you could race on a Spesh Allez 9kg build if all you do is flat airfield crits.
    the earliest you will be allowed disk setup is 2019 ( a pure guess!!) .. in vet racing ... probably not going to happen. We are tight wads and I will have hung up my racing shoes anyway.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Bowman Palace has got brilliant reviews alongside CAAD 10. Also that bright green thing from the English bike dudes that loads of people have. Kinesics Aethian or something.

If you can get one, I raced a P/X Team Superlight for a while: Ali framed metallic blue job. Very nice as well, light when kitted with decent bits (mine has full Ali Ritchey WCS, older d/A mechs and brakes, new Ultegra shifters).
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • We still have no idea what you really want but I've considered buying a Canyon Ultimate CF SL frame before.