New road bike: short reach, high stack for a tall bloke

barongreenback
barongreenback Posts: 229
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I had a full bike fit (Misura 3D) yesterday and I find myself in the situation of needing a bike with a short reach and high stack. I'm 193cm tall and 83kg but with rubbish hamstrings; a long standing issue and stretching has made little difference.

Looking at various geometries, the closest to perfect out of the box is the Trek Domane but if I want discs and Ultegra on the SL 6 it looks poor value for money at £3,700 compared to some other stuff out there. This needs to be a bike that will last me a good few years so I'd like something that could potentially be upgraded to electronic shifting in the future, perhaps when Shimano do their next Ultegra update. Plus entirely on a superficial level the black and white colour scheme doesn't do much for me :lol:

Current bike is a year old Synapse Alloy 105. To get a better fit they flipped the stem, moved the saddle forward and up, although I will probably need to buy a 90mm stem to get it better, which is no great hardship.

Does anyone have any other possibilities that I should look at? Thanks!

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Probably better off looking at flat bar hybrids, if you plan on being that upright..?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,579
    Is a Domane that different geometry wise to a Synapse....?
    I've always heard them referred to in the same breath before.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Thanks for your replies.
    Imposter wrote:
    Probably better off looking at flat bar hybrids, if you plan on being that upright..?

I have a hybrid I use for cycling with the kids (Specialized Sirrus). Just doesn't feel the same as a road bike! Plus it's nice to get down into the drops every now and again.
    Daniel B wrote:
    Is a Domane that different geometry wise to a Synapse....?
    I've always heard them referred to in the same breath before.

Purely on looking at a stack/reach ratio, the Synapse comes out at 1.57 and the Trek at 1.70. Canyon comes in lowest at 1.54. I know that's a crude measure as it doesn't include the stem, which can be changed but it seems to be a decent starting point.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Don't know your budget but you could get a di2 compatible steel or titanium frame custom built to your specific requirements. Modern steel bikes get favourable reviews and my titanium comes in under 8kg including pedals for an xxL size if weight is an issue for you.
  • Shortfall wrote:
    Don't know your budget but you could get a di2 compatible steel or titanium frame custom built to your specific requirements. Modern steel bikes get favourable reviews and my titanium comes in under 8kg including pedals for an xxL size if weight is an issue for you.

I'd say around about £3k. I would like something on the lighter side to help me get up the hills - I've lost loads of weight so it would be nice to lose a little off the bike for a change!
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Have a look here http://colinabikes.com/project/apex/ Pete will build you pretty much anything you want but this will give you a guide and comes in well under your budget with a pretty decent spec imho.

Edit. He's not showing an option for custom geometry on the website but when I bought my Abanicos he measured me up and made it to fit me (I'm even taller than you).
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,613
    How about a light touring bike? That should have a more upright position than most of the bikes out there. For example...
    http://www.spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3553 ... draulic%29