Advice on first bike

Bigwigs
Bigwigs Posts: 3
edited March 2017 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I'm new to the group and to cycling (other than when I was a kid). I want to get back into it now I am in my mid thirties as I think my body is in desperate need of exercise!

My main use will be weekend riding, not too far in the first instance, but on roads. I have been shopping round for a while, haven't got a huge budget. Was initially looking at hybrids but then most people say go to a road bike as most people do within 6-9 months but I'm not sure I want to go straight to a drop bar bike. I have been looking at this:

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Merida-Speeder- ... _81852.htm

Any views bearing mind I know very little other than the tiny research I have done over the past few months.

Any comments appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If you can, try to get a test ride on a couple of contenders. You got any similarly sized mates / colleagues who could let you try theirs briefly? A drop barred road bike can feel more unstable than a hybrid at first, but as you've already heard, most people who only want to ride on the road usually favour drops.

Most important thing is to get the right size bike, and a decent bike shop is probably the best place to do that. You can also discuss your needs and budget with them and hopefully they'll point you in the direction of an appropriate bike.

The one you linked to is decent enough for the money. The B-Twin range from Decathlon are also pretty good value for money, as are the Boardmsns sold in Halfords.
  • Thanks Keef, I have had a look at the B'Twin range and also the Boardman Team Comp. Will probably decide between that and the Merida.

Think I'm going to seek some more advice from the shops and still wondering whether to go straight to the drops!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    go drops

I went flat about 6 months ago ..... wish I went drops .. now looking for a cheap yet amazing, light and fast drop bike .... they don't make one though

must buy secondhand I guess
  • I bought a Merida Speeder 300 Hybrid in October last year (great bike and im really enjoying it) but now as you can see from my 1st post a few down from this one I'm now looking at going drop bar myself. Hybrid was a great introduction back into riding, I just didn't realise it would be this quick for me to want a drop bar..... Oh well
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    Just because a road bike has drops, it doesnt mean you must be in an uncomfortable position thats down in the drops. Even the pros on the Tour de France will ride with their hands on top of the bars or on top of the brake hoods.

I spend 99% of the time with my thumb and index finger wrapped around the brake hoods and it's comfy. I only use the drops for big descents and then it's just because it gives more leverage on the brake lever.

The biggest difference between a road bike and a hybrid / mtb is a road bike has less rolling resistance from the tyres and wheels and is often lighter in weight. Road bikes are more efficient.

O95Rg.jpg

tumblr_n6xuwrjw0Z1ropreyo1_1280.jpg
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • shewy
    shewy Posts: 62
    I went with the boardman team and popped bar ends on, great bike to get back into it, I don't find the drops comfy as I have to get past my belly! The hybrid is fine for road and light offroad, i.e canal paths and great out with the kids. Defo going to buy a road bike though for long rides out when the fitness picks up. Looked at the merida and the boardman won due to hydraulic brakes rather than mechanical, also came with tiagra shifters.