RockShox Pike RCT3

ptenny
ptenny Posts: 14
edited March 2017 in MTB workshop & tech
First post, so go easy :)

I've just bought a Cannondale Jekyll with the RockShox Pike RCT3, I've set them up to the recommended pressure etc and fitted 1 bottomless token. They feel fine for normal riding, but I hit a few larger drops yesterday and they bottomed out.
I'm about 96KG with my bag etc so put 90psi in the shock, set everything else up as recommended.

Should I add more air or another token?

I've never had such luxuries in life to worry about this kind of thing before :twisted:

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    The recommended settings are only a recommendation and may not be the best setting for you, you could try more air but this may make the fork feel stiff and you may lose small bump sensitivity.

Adding a token will help reduce bottoming out but still allow you to run 90 psi if that's what you feel is correct pressure for you.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Did you set them up by sag? Only way to set the baseline pressure (and removes issues with dodgy gauges!).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • was just about to say the exact same thing. I set mine up using the recommend amount and being a heavy guy it was pointless.

sag is the only way to go, if it continues id add another token to see how that is or try a few clicks on the charger to see if that helps.
  • ptenny
    I didn't set it up to the sag.. I think it was 20% or 20mm when I looked but can't remember.
    What should this be?

Thanks for the help
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Start at 25% of travel and fiddle from there.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ptenny
    Ok thanks, will have a go later and see.
  • ptenny
    Added a second token and setup to around 90psi with 25% sag.
    I'll see how I get on. 8)
  • ptenny
    Feels good with that setup, will keep an eye on it.
    Thanks for the help