Campag Wheels

kangarouge
kangarouge Posts: 210
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I am considering buying some of the above and I was wondering what happens if you break a spoke or need new rims. Can these be purchased easily and if so are they readily available and at sensible prices?

Both the spoke patterns and numbers seem to be quite different for some of their wheels, e.g.Scirocco, Zonda, Neutron and so I anticipate this could cause problems sourcing replacements. Is this correct?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    I popped a spoke on a my Zondas about a year ago. I took wheel in for repair in Mammoth Stafford and they had it good as new for 20 quid inc labour so a decent shop near you should be able to match this level of service no probs
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Spokes are no problem, but expensive.
    Rims are so expensive, that it's not economical to replace them (for originals)
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Have the Zondas got a wear marker on them?
  • smoggysteve
    Yes. Tiny drilled hole in the rim
  • chippyk
    Yes. Tiny drilled hole in the rim

Thanks, thought so, might be wheel shopping then.
  • smoggysteve
    You will have to be going somecto prematurely wear them. They are pretty hard wearing rims. Especially if you invest in some better quality brakes. I still use Swissstop Yellow Kings on mine.
  • chippyk
    They've done about 10,000 I think, I use Kool Stop dual compound pads. They're quite grooved on the rims and no sign of a hole on the front which has had me thinking for a while either they've worn quickly or there never was a hole. I'll dig the calipers out and measure the thickness.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    They are difficult to accurately measure the rim thickness because one cannot keep the caliper arms perpendicular across the whole face due to the inner construction, even with jewelers' sprung calipers. My last pair of Zondas (2 years ago) did fare well given that I rode in all weathers. I got about 6-8,000 miles out of them before they were noticeably concave with no dot showing. The caliper readings I could get gave about 0.6 - 0.8mm, which is firmly in the 'time to replace' territory. Out of interest, I then got a hacksaw out and chopped out a section to see what the actual thickness was...that revealed that there was indeed a little more life left in them and the accurate readings came in around 0.8 mm. I wasn't miffed though, it was obviously time to replace them. As an aside, the bearings were still in good nick but the seals were becoming less than great with repeated removal/replacement when servicing...which was a downward spiral as it meant they needed more servicing to replace the mucky contaminated grease.

I now have some very good handbuilts (fed up with throwing away wheels) but would definitely consider the c17 Zondas (I always found the Zondas a little harsh, even with 25s, so figure that a 17 rim should smooth that a little).
  • Many thanks for all the replies. Bearing in mind all the comments, I think I'll go down the hand-built route again. I can't be doing with throwing away good hubs with only 6-8k miles use. Call me stingy if you like, but the idea of purchasing the Zondas, doesn't sound like it would represent good value for money.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Depends where you use them.