New Road Bike Approx £1500

2»

Comments

• ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Nibbsy wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Nibbsy wrote:
    How much of a bad idea would it be to go for a size 54 frame when I've been told 52 is the right size?

Reason I ask is that Paul's have the 2016 Supersix 105 but only in size 54 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... O-105-2016

The 52 did feel about right on the test rides, but would the 54 be noticeably uncomfortable?

The thing with these bikes is that they're traditional geo (straight top tube), so sizing up isn't the best idea with regards to viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13076645&e=1&view=unread#unread height etc.

I ride a 56 and don't have my seatpost out much at all (maybe 170mm). So if you size up and it's a tad too big, your saddle will be sitting on your top tube.

Ok thanks. The saddle was set quite high (10cm or so) above the tube when I test rode the 52, so maybe 54 would be ok?

Just wondering whether it's worth getting the 2016 54 for £1200 instead of the 2017 52 for £1800. Significant saving for the sake of 2cm!

100mm is not high at all...

However, if you were comfy on the 54, save the money and buy a pair of decent wheels with it.

I personally would always buy a smaller frame if I fell between two (which I do, 56 / 58).
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • domc21
    domc21 Posts: 86
    JE JAMES have Cervelo R2''S for £1600
  • nibbsy
    nibbsy Posts: 41
    Ryan_W wrote:
    100mm is not high at all...

However, if you were comfy on the 54, save the money and buy a pair of decent wheels with it.

I personally would always buy a smaller frame if I fell between two (which I do, 56 / 58).

Yeah I think I'm somewhere between the 52 and 54, although I haven't had a chance to sit on a 54 yet.

If I was confident the 54 would fit then I'd get that for £1200 and use the £600 saving to upgrade the wheels...
    domc21 wrote:
    JE JAMES have Cervelo R2''S for £1600

Thanks, that looks very nice. Sounds from the reviews like I might be wanting to upgrade a few of the components pretty soon though?
  • nibbsy
    So I think I've narrowed it down to the following options:

1. Cannondale Supersix 2016 105 - £1200 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... O-105-2016

Seems a decent price for a nice frame, with scope for upgrading. Would have to get size 54 - may be slightly too big.

2. Cube Attain GTC Pro - £1000 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... -DISC-2016

Seems amazing value for carbon & disc brakes. What's the catch? Would need to get size 56, so may be slightly too big. But apparently Cube sizing comes up slightly small. Anyone confirm?

3. Cube Attain GTC Race - £1000 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... -RACE-2016

Seems like good value for carbon & ultegra. Could get size 53, so maybe closer to my correct size.

4. Sensa Giulia G2 - £1400 - https://www.merlincycles.com/sensa-giul ... 97030.html

Don't now much about Sensa, but that's a big price reduction and seen it recommended elsewhere.

Any thoughts on the above choices much appreciated.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    There is a post regarding Super Six EVO sizing which you should read before making your decision.
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13042198&hilit=show+us+your+super
  • nibbsy
    DJ58 wrote:
    There is a post regarding Super Six EVO sizing which you should read before making your decision.
    viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=13042198&hilit=show+us+your+super

Thanks. Yeah I've read a fair bit of that thread over the last few days.

Have been to look at the 54 Supersix this evening and it's definitely too big. Think it's between the other 3 options now...
  • ryan_w-2
    I still can't figure why you've discounted the CAAD?

Top end Aluminium frame vs pretty 'meh' carbon frames.

Hi-mod SS over CAAD, but normal SS, not really.

Also, I thought you wanted to use the C2W scheme? Essentially paying £600 for a £1000 voucher.

How tall are you? My mate has a 54 SS and he's 5'8" with normal proportions.

• nibbsy
    Ryan_W wrote:

Also, I thought you wanted to use the C2W scheme? Essentially paying £600 for a £1000 voucher.

I think it was trying the CAAD and SS back to back yesterday - I preferred the feel of the SS. This may well have been psychological though - knowing it was carbon vs aluminium. Since then I've just been focussing on carbon frames, although as you say, probably all low end ones. I'm just slightly concerned that the CAAD wouldn't be all that comfortable on longer rides. Probably wrong though.

Yep will be using C2W. I can still get a bike for over £1000, I just need to pay anything over the voucher value myself.

I'm 5'7". Standing over the 54 SS today I was barely clearing the top tube...
  • ryan_w-2
    For the price, I would go with the CAAD all day long.

I've done countless 50km+ rides on my old CAAD12 and never had any comfort issues even with the stem slammed.

It was my commuter bike, so did hundreds of KM per week.

Buy one in a 52, know that it fits you well, will last forever and that you're riding one of the best bikes out there, of any price.

Yes it will be 400g heavier than a SS, but you can save that with a pair of Hunt wheels for pennies.

FYI: I'm just over 6ft and my 56 CAAD was just right for me.

• nibbsy
    I hear you, and I am still in two minds. I can definitely see that a CAAD offers great value for money...

All I'm thinking is that if I'm spending around £1300 on a bike, should I stretch that a bit more to get a full carbon frame that I can use for a few years and continue to upgrade components? I just don't want to be feeling like I want a new bike in a year's time, and that I should have just spent that bit extra in the first place...
  • ryan_w-2
    Why are you so hooked on a low end carbon frame opposed to a top end aluminium frame?

Up to you mate, just my opinions having owned numerous bikes over the years ranging from £300 to over £10,000.....

• nibbsy
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Why are you so hooked on a low end carbon frame opposed to a top end aluminium frame?

Up to you mate, just my opinions having owned numerous bikes over the years ranging from £300 to over £10,000.....

I guess it's purely because the vast majority of bikes around the £1500 mark are carbon, so getting a slightly cheaper bike that's aluminium feels like it might be a step down. I realise I'm probably wrong about this though.

I definitely trust your opinion over my own feeling, and certainly still considering the CAAD...
  • nibbsy
    Ok it's come down to a decision between these 2 Cannondales:

1. Supersix Evo Ultegra - £1500 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... TEGRA-2016

2. CAAD12 105 - £1100 - http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ory_id=149

Supersix would obviously get me the carbon and ultegra. CAAD12 would mean I could afford to upgrade the wheels much more easily.

Any thoughts much appreciated!
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    Two mates picked up the same Supersix Evo Ultegra via Sigma Sport for £1,200 and are very pleased with them. Seems like they got a great deal as I haven't seen that price since.
  • nibbsy
    Alex222 wrote:
    Two mates picked up the same Supersix Evo Ultegra via Sigma Sport for £1,200 and are very pleased with them. Seems like they got a great deal as I haven't seen that price since.

Yeah wouldn't even think twice at that price, only £100 more than the CAAD12. £400 more is a different question though...
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    Nibbsy wrote:
    Ok it's come down to a decision between these 2 Cannondales:

1. Supersix Evo Ultegra - £1500 - https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... TEGRA-2016

2. CAAD12 105 - £1100 - http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... ory_id=149

Supersix would obviously get me the carbon and ultegra. CAAD12 would mean I could afford to upgrade the wheels much more easily.

Any thoughts much appreciated!

You're not really likely to go wrong with either so long as they fit! You seem to want a carbon bike so the SSE would be the sensible choice of the two to scratch that itch.
  • nibbsy
    jdee84 wrote:
    You're not really likely to go wrong with either so long as they fit! You seem to want a carbon bike so the SSE would be the sensible choice of the two to scratch that itch.

Yep I think you might be right, worried I'm going to regret not spending the extra for carbon when I had the chance...
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Nibbsy wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:

Yep I think you might be right, worried I'm going to regret not spending the extra for carbon when I had the chance...

Go for the Supersix. It's the one you really want.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Nibbsy wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:

Do it.
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 282
    Nibbsy wrote:
    jdee84 wrote:

The extra isn't only for carbon also, it's not a big difference in function but it's still ultegra vs 105, slightly better mavic askium and slightly higher level cannondale finishing kit.
  • nibbsy
    Cheers all, seems pretty unanimous. Wheels are in motion on the Supersix...
  • ryan_w-2
    My mates 54 SS Ultegra came in at 7.2kg with some Chinese carbon clinchers. They are great bikes, just make sure you get the right size...

• nibbsy
    Ryan_W wrote:
    My mates 54 SS Ultegra came in at 7.2kg with some Chinese carbon clinchers. They are great bikes, just make sure you get the right size...

Thanks, will definitely be looking into new wheels in the next few months. The 52 seemed exactly right on the test ride I did, albeit that was on the 2017...
  • Get the one you'll ride the most. Be it the most comfy, the one you like the look of best or the one your mates will be a bit jelous of.

There is no perfect bike at this price range as spec, frame, discounts etc make it very very hard to compare. Seriously, I did the same thing for weeks and ended up with the Cube Attain GTC Race you were looking at. That was based primarily on whether I could test ride all the other available options and which felt most comfortable. And the in store experience too.

Get the one that fits that makes you want to ride it. Ultimately the spec at this price range won't be hugely noticeable and you're only looking at it to say did you get a better deal on one bike over another.
  • nibbsy
    neilhannam wrote:
    Get the one you'll ride the most. Be it the most comfy, the one you like the look of best or the one your mates will be a bit jelous of.

There is no perfect bike at this price range as spec, frame, discounts etc make it very very hard to compare. Seriously, I did the same thing for weeks and ended up with the Cube Attain GTC Race you were looking at. That was based primarily on whether I could test ride all the other available options and which felt most comfortable. And the in store experience too.

Get the one that fits that makes you want to ride it. Ultimately the spec at this price range won't be hugely noticeable and you're only looking at it to say did you get a better deal on one bike over another.

Thanks. Yeah in the end it's only really been convenient for me to test ride the Cannondales. I would have liked to have had a look at the Cube, but I don't really have a convenient place nearby to go and look at one.

So given that I know the Supersix fits, I love the look of it, it's a well reviewed etc bike, I'm fairly confident I'll be happy with it. Maybe the Cube would have been slightly more suited to me, but as you say the difference is unlikely to be all that noticeable at this price range. It also seems like a pretty good deal I'm getting...

Thanks all for the input and advice everyone!
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Ryan_W wrote:

Sorry disagree the normal SS evo is very good and certainly not "meh" - there is not much perceptible difference between that and the himod - which I own. Height does not always relate to frame size - there are many factors which will affect how well a bike fits.