Back to MTBing - Used MTB - £175.00 (max) to spend

apcmtb
apcmtb Posts: 53
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
Good Afternoon All

After what seems like an eternity (well 6 years really) & after taking a break, doing some road riding, and being generally busy with life, the opportunity has presented itself whereby I can get back to my 1st love.....MTBing.

I know you are a knowledgeable & friendly lot from my previous useage on the old WMTB forum, hence this is my 1st port of call.

I've been out of the MTB loop for that long that I really don't know where to start, what to look for etc. I'd previously had Specialized Hardrock & Rockhopper, Giant & numerous GT's.

I only have a small budget (from the sale of my Road bike), so go easy on me :lol: , but would really appreciate some advice/pointers of what this is going to get me & if possible some examples.
Nothing is more conducive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all

Comments

• apcmtb
    Thanks for the reply.

Cycle to work not an option as I don't want to commit to monthly payments when I have the cash available.

Looks like it's a long ebay search :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Carrera Kraken or Fury, Voodoo Hoodoo or Bantu (the original models were well specced), Rockrider 520/540/560 are all worth keeping an eye out for.

Hydraulic discs and a fork with a damper is what you are after.

Big brand names tend to go for more money than a lesser brand name built better bike unless you can find one that needs some repairs when they can be very cost competitive.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • apcmtb
    What sort of price? Any pics
  • apcmtb
    oxoman wrote:
    Would be around your budget, will get some pics sent either tonight or tomorrow as dads taxi duties shortly.

Cheers, I'm looking at another tomorrow so should give me something to compare to.