Canyon Ultimate - Wheel advice

CrouchingPig
CrouchingPig Posts: 112
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm pretty much decided on a Canyon Ultimate,
I would like Carbon wheels,
They do an Aero model that comes with some beautiful Reynolds Carbon Clinchers,
however, this is priced at £2599,
the same bike with Ksyrium Elite's is £1849.

Am I mad in thinking I could just sell the Elite's for circa £300-£350 new (considering they're a £400+ wheelset) and just buy some Cosine 45mm Carbon Clinchers, making the bike a total of £2,100 approx - thus saving £500 and still having a decent set of wheels?

I've not ruled out the Disc model either, it just seems an expensive route/heavier.
Norco Sight C7.2
Giant Defy 1 Disc

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Kysrium Elites are good wheels, the Cosines are probably a downgrade.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,495
    Check ebay and see what the Ksyrium's are going for, but no reason you can't sell the wheels as new take-offs and buy something else that you prefer. I did this with a new bike I bought recently as I already had wheels to put on it.

Probably only worth going to the troube if putting something much better than the Ksyrium's or if you can make a big saving. Fulcrum racing quattro carbons are available for under £800 from evans.
  • I'm pretty much decided on a Canyon Ultimate,
    I would like Carbon wheels,
    They do an Aero model that comes with some beautiful Reynolds Carbon Clinchers,
    however, this is priced at £2599,
    the same bike with Ksyrium Elite's is £1849.

Am I mad in thinking I could just sell the Elite's for circa £300-£350 new (considering they're a £400+ wheelset) and just buy some Cosine 45mm Carbon Clinchers, making the bike a total of £2,100 approx - thus saving £500 and still having a decent set of wheels?

I've not ruled out the Disc model either, it just seems an expensive route/heavier.

I've owned my Canyon Ultimate SL 9.0 for 3 years with the Elites on, I've always felt the wheels are pretty good. I've ridden mine through all weathers and it wasn't until about 4 months ago that the rear began to get sticky. I had the bearings replaced but still not much improvement. So I'm in the market for some new ones, I've actually got a smaller budget and looking to replace them with the alloy cosines for £187 from Wiggle. I'll be using them for everyday wheels, crits and hill climbs, it's going to be interesting to see how they feel against the much more expensive Ksyriums.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing your choice.
  • From reading you guys opinions on this, I feel like perhaps I should stop being a snob and use the Elites.
    I was aware that they are good wheels, I just want the good looks that come with no alloy brake tract.
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc
  • From reading you guys opinions on this, I feel like perhaps I should stop being a snob and use the Elites.
    I was aware that they are good wheels, I just want the good looks that come with no alloy brake tract.

Id probably sell the Elites and stick some Khamsins on or summat then get some deep carbons
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
    58585 Posts: 207
    If you have got the cash then go for the reynolds wheels, this will work out cheaper in the long run if you want quality carbon wheels. You'll always lose money selling wheels 2nd hand and caynon are well priced for wheels as you go up the models I find. The reynolds are a step up from the quattros mentioned here for example, and definitely worth the price difference over the Ksyrium's on a bike at this price.
  • The Reynolds are circa £1,100 - the Ksyrium's are £450.

the difference in price is £650, I feel like Canyon are charging full RRP for the upgrade to the Reynolds, or is my Math wrong?
    Norco Sight C7.2
    Giant Defy 1 Disc