Bike Leaning In Elite Trainer (Again)

Whiteboog
Whiteboog Posts: 2
I am aware that this is a subject which has been raised in this any many other forums on various occasions, however there never seems to have been a definitive answer to it. Rather, it is assumed the OP is just getting something obvious wrong.

Based on the other forum posts on the subject, it appears to be an issue specifically with Elite trainers, and presents generally with a 'tilt' to the left, and - in most but not all cases - the rear wheel being off centre with respect to the resistance unit.

I haven't provided photos as there are plenty of examples on other posts, and to be fair, 'tilts to the left' is easy enough to visualise.

In my case, the leaning is the major issue, and I have tried the following:

1. Making sure I put the bike in the frame before the rear wheel makes contact with the resistance unit.
2. Swapping the QR (provided with the trainer) around so the QR lock is on the other side of the bike
3. Experimenting with the QR level pointing in various directions (odd, but the manual does suggest that horizontal is best)
3. Ruling out the possibility of an uneven floor
4. Checking to ensure the 'cups' which the QR ends slip into are not being blocked or otherwise prevented from locking with the QR.
5. Making sure it isn't just my saddle or any other part of the bike which is wonky (though see below)
6. Experimenting with varying degrees of tightness of the frame lock mechanism (within what I consider a reasonable range)

I haven't yet tried:

1. Having my bike carefully measured to see if it is itself twisted or bent (i have visually inspected it)
2. Another brand of QR, other than the Elite one supplied
3. Another bike. (this is obviously a big one, though given the amount of complaints I have seen about this, it is clearly not unique to my bike)

I have seen previous replies to posts on this issue suggesting that the lean is something which can just be ignored, however it is not simply that the bike leans, but it effectively 'rests' to the left, with a degree of play which allows it to tilt to the centre point, but not to right of centre (suggesting an issue with the left cup contact). The effect of this when riding is a feeling of severe instability.

I am sure that I do not need to explain the difficulty in trying to concentrate on riding when something just 'feels wrong'.

I would be grateful if anyone with an Elite trainer would perhaps be able to (i) confirm that they do not have any of the issues mentioned above, and if so, (ii) exactly and specifically how they went about setting their trainer up, and how they attach their bike to it. (position of QR, how the bike is held etc.)

I really feel that there is just something simple which I and many others are missing, but really cannot work out what it is.

Thanks

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Have you tried another bike?
    If still not right... is this a new trainer? what does the retailer say... sounds like its been spannered wrong in the factory.
  • AK_jnr
    AK_jnr Posts: 717
    I just put a small cloth or whatever is lying around in the garage to pick one side up a tad. Doesnt rock or cause me any issues so I just get on with it.
  • Joshgav
    Joshgav Posts: 158
    I have a slight lean to the left on my bike in a Kurt Kinetic Road Machine. When I first got it, it bugged me and I tried to level it out. Now I just ignore and ride on.