Gear Combinations

tyw214
tyw214 Posts: 52
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
So I know "Cross-Chaining" is bad, but is it ok to ride cross-chained for like a minute or two?

the reason i asked is that the NYC terrain is very varied, the ups and downs can change with a street turn... right now i have 48/32 with 10-speed 11-32 in the cassette, is it ok to ride 32x11 for a minute without causing too much strain on the chain? or I am better shifting to the 48?

Also is it ok to ride prolonged on like 48x28 or 32x12? (basically the second largest/second smallest ratio)

Comments

• I thought most of the chain ring selectors have the "in-between" click for running big-big or small-small? In other words the chain ring selector realistically has 4 positions, not just 2. Select the proper position there, and you're good.

My 105 11-28 stuff does this on the Propel.

Can you post a Strava or other app route with an example? I live in Raleigh and can either roll 100 km without more than 600 feet OR I can roll 20 miles with 2000 feet. Lots of up and down rollers going in and out of creek beds where the streets cross them. Can lose 100 feet and gain it all back in a matter of a 1/2 mile.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    48x11 isn't cross chaining. You can ride it all day long if you're able to
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Garry H wrote:

I think that was a typo and he meant 32x11.

And the answer is that cross chaining for short periods isn't much of a problem unless your putting lots of pressure on the chain, then i'd expect to see the outer link holes ovalling out, stretching the chain and prematurely wearing down the cassette and chainrings (amazing how much longer my chains last these days after i stopped cross chaining compared to when i first started riding).
  • tyw214
    tyw214 Posts: 52
    Ouija wrote:
    Garry H wrote:

I think that was a typo and he meant 32x11.

And the answer is that cross chaining for short periods isn't much of a problem unless your putting lots of pressure on the chain, then i'd expect to see the outer link holes ovalling out, stretching the chain and prematurely wearing down the cassette and chainrings (amazing how much longer my chains last these days after i stopped cross chaining compared to when i first started riding).

my apology. you are right. yes i meant 32x11 ;x
  • I thought most of the chain ring selectors have the "in-between" click for running big-big or small-small? In other words the chain ring selector realistically has 4 positions, not just 2. Select the proper position there, and you're good.

That's just the modern equivalent of trimming - being able to adjust your derailleurs with friction shifters. But a bit of cross chaining is fine.