Used boardman

Rushers1410
Rushers1410 Posts: 3
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a 2012 boardman team 3xaisl second hand in very good condition. Looking at the bike online after purchase I found out that there had been a few changes to the bike.

Firstly the stem and handle bars had been changed from drop down bars to strait bars making it more of a hybrid. How hard would it be to replace the stem, handle bars and break leavers to either stock or boardman brand (except the leavers they would be sram or shimano) and what would be the price.

Secondly the forks have been changed from the stock boardman to some un-named ones which dont look very good in quality or appearance. I would like to also change these to some named ones but i also want to try and keep the price down.

Recommendations?

Thanks

Comments

• Recommendations?

Unscrew the stem top cap and fit a new bike
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Bars, Stem and forks non original sounds like a front end prang to me. Check the rest of the frame very carefully before spending anything on it.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Sounds like its been crashed. No real reason to change the forks for cheap ones (presumption due to being unbranded)
  • I think it has been crashed because the wheels are also not original but looking over the actual frame it is in very good condition, almost like it has been crashed into something like a pavement.

But i am now trying to change the cheaper or non brands to something that i can trust or originals.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    I think it has been crashed because the wheels are also not original but looking over the actual frame it is in very good condition, almost like it has been crashed into something like a pavement.

But i am now trying to change the cheaper or non brands to something that i can trust or originals.
    I think the advice here is don't invest as it sounds like even if the frame is structurally ok the bike will become a money pit
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Stem and handlebar change to flats, fair enough. I know of someone who has converted a few bikes from drop bars to hybrid style flats. It's just how he likes to ride.

I do find the fork change odd though. I recently sold a cheap hybrid I had owned since 2010/2011 and it didn't need new forks. I have two 14 year old road bikes and they are still on the original forks too.

As others have said, get the frame checked before you spend anything on the bike. It does seem like the front end has been pranged. The fact that non original and non branded parts have been used suggests to me that the seller wanted rid of the thing.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay for this bike? Just ignore me if I sound rude. :)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    has it now got disc brakes ? .... a possibility of after market forks could be to run discs
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Recommendations?
    Unscrew the stem top cap and fit a new bike

^ The best advice. You bought a pup, move on.
  • with different forks, wheels, bars, etc it could have just been built up from a frame - th e2011/2012 ones were sold off very cheaply about a year ago

what colour is it? Do you have a picture