Cotic Solaris - Sizing advice

silverpigeon
silverpigeon Posts: 327
edited March 2017 in MTB buying advice
Thinking about one of these but not sure whether to go for medium or large (I'm 5'11") and there's not much chance of finding one to demo here on the Isle of Man.

Who out there has one and what size are you/did you go for?
Basso Astra
Principia Ellipse SX
Kinesis Racelight 4S
Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why not measure up your current bike and compare to the declared geometry?

Reach and Stack are the two important numbers, Cotic give both (note that they change with fork travel option, stack by near enough the effective (sagged) fork length and reach by a few mm) and they can be easily measured on your current bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Why not measure up your current bike and compare to the declared geometry?

Reach and Stack are the two important numbers, Cotic give both (note that they change with fork travel option, stack by near enough the effective (sagged) fork length and reach by a few mm) and they can be easily measured on your current bike.

Because I sold my MTB a while ago, It was a pre 2000 bike and I can't find an old geometry chart
    Basso Astra
    Principia Ellipse SX
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro Disc
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    I don't have one, but FWIW I'm the same height as you and I'd go for a large. Reach is the same (with 120 forks) as my current bike, and it could stand being a little longer. Seat tube would be too long on the XL to run a decent dropper though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    I would recommend a large,I'm 5'10" with longish limbs and have a medium,I run a 70mm stem and a Thomson lay back post,I only really use my Solaris as an xc bike,kind of wished I had gone for a large,I also run mine on 120mm forks,they are a belting frame to ride,it was my first steel bike for years and I had forgotten just how nice it is to ride