What is a base layer?

alire
alire Posts: 13
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
What exactly is a baser layer? I am under the impression it is just a compression top (with anti-bacterial and other such features) or does a base layer include 'trousers' as well? So would you have your base layer shirt and trousers on and then put your padded bib shorts on top?

I ask because some base layers come with trousers as well. Example: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FDX-Compressio ... merReviews
They 'are' advertised as being for running however they are listed in the cycling section. I am curious how exactly a cycling base layer differs to a running base layer. Is it just the same thing but without the trousers - because your padded shorts/ bib shorts would enclose your 'region'?

---

Can someone confirm whether I have understood it correctly:

As I understand cyclist clothing so far, you have your base layer, then you have your padded bib shorts (or normal standard padded bib shorts) on top and then your 'mid layer' or just a shirt for thermal reasons and then on top of that you have your 'soft shell' jacket to keep yourself dry (if it happens to be raining).

As for 'Jersey's', is a Jersey technically your mid layer or soft shell?

Have I understood cyclist clothing correctly or is there something I have missed? Feel free to correct me or post decent guides on cyclist clothing.

Comments

• Your over thinking this I am sure. I would class any next to skin item that would not normally be worn as an outer layer as a base layer, include trousers if you wish but I have never had the need to wear long bibs and something underneath, if it's that cold I am not riding due to risk of ice.

Medium and outer I would look at the fit and finish, what is it designed to do? Medium or Insulating layers for example would not normally have rear pockets or cool go fast designs since they are rarely seen. Outer layers are usually designed to shield you from something, sun, wind, rain of in fact gravel.

But really wear what is appropriate to the prevailing weather conditions if that's 6 or 1 layer so be it, and feel free to go mad wear 3 base layers and an outer, but no underwear under bibs and definitely none over the top of bibs.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,747
    It is just clothing.
    Put more on if cold, wear less if hot.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    A couple of points on your message :

- Base layers aren't usually compression items although they are usually snug fitting to better wick and insulate. They tend to be in the main for underneath a jersey
    - Never wear anything under padded shorts. They are meant to be in contact with your skin and any layer underneath could bunch and chafe
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yeah only wear base layers on your Top. Not your legs. Cycling will chafe you more than running hence the need for decent padded shorts.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Another trolling thread?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D