Deda 30mm Tubular wheelset

dstev55
dstev55 Posts: 742
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I'm seriously considering giving tubular wheels a go. I've only heard positive things about them and anyone that has used them says not to fear punctures as they can still normally be rectified at the roadside.

My LBS has a set of Deda 30mm Tubular wheels for sale. Does anyone know if they're any good or even better ever used them? At just over 1100g they are ridiculously light however I know that weight is not the only factor in a good wheelset. I don't want too great a profile as I'm a fairly light rider at 65-70kg and I live in pretty hilly terrain so I'd prefer the lower weight over increased aero benefits.

Comments

• Look fairly decent for the money, personally id be after a wider rim if spending that sort of money.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    dstev55 wrote:
    Hi all,

I'm seriously considering giving tubular wheels a go. I've only heard positive things about them and anyone that has used them says not to fear punctures as they can still normally be rectified at the roadside.

Only if you fill them with sealant and this is in no way a guarantee it will seal the hole. A bit of flint or a tiny hole will be fine. Get a deep slash from glass or something similar you are screwed. You may be able to limp home on a flat tubular but it is just that. Miles from home it's not fun. The risks far outweigh the benefits for casual use. Racing they are unrivalled or even the odd sportive but day to day on uk roads I see to many pitfalls to use them every day. I have had tubs and clinchers sliced to hell from unseen crap on the roads and at least with the clincher I could swap out the tube and carry on.
  • dstev55
    Look fairly decent for the money, personally id be after a wider rim if spending that sort of money.

Where have you seen the width? I can't find that info anywhere.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    With the right profile a 50mm deep rim is no bother in the wind. I was out on sunday in the fens and it was quote blowly on my 50mm deep wheels. I flet the wind but dod not het blown about. Dont fear punctures with tubs (carry a spare) and dont fear deeper wheels. If you have been blown about in the past it is probablh because you where ridkng a deep set of narrow v shaped rims.

Also aero wins over weight every time. Going deeper and wider will not add enough weight to slow down. If you are using these for non competive riding conti tubs are probably the best to go for due to them being the most reliable. I would caution against adding stans, try other selants. Stans will coat the inside of the tube with latex and lumps can form. Other brands of sealant dont do this.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • dstev55 wrote:
    Look fairly decent for the money, personally id be after a wider rim if spending that sort of money.

Bike 24: 21,5 mm outer width
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • dstev55
    dstev55 wrote:

Bike 24: 21,5 mm outer width

Well spotted :)

Not the narrowest in the world but yes you're right, they could be a touch wider.

From the limited information I can see about Deda wheels, I think there's a 2017 version that's come out that's considerably wider but a bit heavier.
  • I'm after a set of these, if you don't buy them mind letting me know where your LBS is ;-)
  • dstev55
    gotwood25 wrote:
    I'm after a set of these, if you don't buy them mind letting me know where your LBS is ;-)

I'm probably not going to buy them so you're more than welcome. They've got the 45's as well.

Velo Bavarian in Duffield, Derbyshire. Cracking little shop and very helpful guys.
  • dstev55 wrote:
    gotwood25 wrote:
    I'm after a set of these, if you don't buy them mind letting me know where your LBS is ;-)

I'm probably not going to buy them so you're more than welcome. They've got the 45's as well.

Velo Bavarian in Duffield, Derbyshire. Cracking little shop and very helpful guys.

Nice one, I've dropped them a message.
    Cheers