Wheel bearing press tool?

siddy1972
siddy1972 Posts: 180
edited March 2017 in Workshop
Hi all. Does anyone know of a bearing press tool that's suitable for wheel bearings? I'd like to get something that's suitable for various sizes, if such a thing exists.
Any got any recommendations?
Not a block of wood and a hammer, I like to use the proper tool for the job :-)

Comments

• Piece of threaded rod, a few large section washers and a few nuts. Better than your hammer and block of wood, and cheap as...

I made one for bb press fit bearings. Works perfectly.
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Any matching socket will do.
    When I intend to fit wheel bearings I check my 1/2" and 3/8" socket boxes and alway I find one with an outside diameter slightly less then the bearing.
    Job done.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Piece of threaded rod, a few large section washers and a few nuts. Better than your hammer and block of wood, and cheap as...

And if you haven't the stuff lying around already you can usually buy these already made up off Ebay for not much more than the cost of sourcing the parts.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Rolf F wrote:
    Piece of threaded rod, a few large section washers and a few nuts. Better than your hammer and block of wood, and cheap as...

And if you haven't the stuff lying around already you can usually buy these already made up off Ebay for not much more than the cost of sourcing the parts.

That^

I got one for a fiver off Ebay to press in the cups in my CR1 headtube. You just need to make sure things are going in square / straight. I'm sure with appropriate spacers / sockets etc I could use it for the press-fit BB too. All my wheels are Shimano so I don't have any cartridge bearings to deal with there.

I might be using it to do the rear wheel bearings on my wife's Focus though...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Wheels manufacturing make a very nice tool set that makes very easy work of installing bearings. It is pricey but if you do it often, or just like well made tools, it is worth it. The DIY tool works but just make sure you have good drifts (washers of the correct size) as otherwise bearing damage can be caused. this kind of tool works fine it just that you dont have a T handle on the nut so takes a little more time.

The washer and bolt kit fail when you have to press bearings in over the axle but there are DIY ways around this as well but again wheels manufacturing make a lovely toolset for this too.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    I haven't quite finished these but they should assist you. This is general fitting guidance

http://www.hambini.com/bearing-fitting/

and

http://www.hambini.com/bearing-guidance/

You can use a studbar and two pieces of metal but I would advise you don't use aluminium - it galls and also use the correct sized press for the job. alternatively you could use the old bearing as a guide.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    When installing make sure that your tool is only pressing on the OUTER shell of the bearing. DON'T try to seat it by pressing on the inner race.
  • Thanks for all the advice. I've discovered that my headset press just fits thru the inner race, so I'm going to use that with the old bearing as a press adapter (when the new one arrives).
    Those links to the help pages were really good and informative. Thanks for that.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Wheels manufacturing make a very nice tool set that makes very easy work of installing bearings. It is pricey but if you do it often, or just like well made tools, it is worth it. The DIY tool works but just make sure you have good drifts (washers of the correct size) as otherwise bearing damage can be caused. this kind of tool works fine it just that you dont have a T handle on the nut so takes a little more time.

The washer and bolt kit fail when you have to press bearings in over the axle but there are DIY ways around this as well but again wheels manufacturing make a lovely toolset for this too.

Yep I used mine today :)