SRAM Rival Double Tap shifter worth Fixing?

Cycling is Forever
Cycling is Forever Posts: 210
edited February 2017 in Workshop
Hi Peeps,

Looking for a bit of advice to see if it is worth fixing a right hand SRAM Rival Double Tap shifter (10 speed).
The ratchet for indexing appears worn and slips under load meaning that the gears will not shift up.
Are the internals readily available and cost effective to replace?
A search online doesn't prove conclusive.
How hard or time consuming fixing might be another consideration too?
Or is it simply better to replace the whole shifter?

Any insight will be much appreciated, Cheers

CiF

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Hi Peeps,

Looking for a bit of advice to see if it is worth fixing a right hand SRAM Rival Double Tap shifter (10 speed).
    The ratchet for indexing appears worn and slips under load meaning that the gears will not shift up.
    Are the internals readily available and cost effective to replace?
    A search online doesn't prove conclusive.
    How hard or time consuming fixing might be another consideration too?
    Or is it simply better to replace the whole shifter?

Any insight will be much appreciated, Cheers

CiF

If your bike wheel will take an 11 speed cassette and your looking at buying a new shifter, I'd simply buy a set of new 22 shifters and an 11 speed cassette for an instant conversion. You don't need to change the derailleurs or chainring.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Are you sure it's a worn ratchet, rather than a broken ratchet part? Mine broke after about 6 or 7 years of use, but I replaced them with a second hand set of red levers, where the part is stainless steel, rather than the alu alloy of the rival. There's a thread on here somewhere, i'll have a look, seems the issue was not that rare.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Here, some good photos of the same issue that I had

viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=13063298&hilit=Sram+rival+broken+lever
  • Thanks & Sorry for delay

I did look at the other thread why I couldn't find it is beyond me. The ratchet I would describe as OK but the spring and catch part does not stay engaged when trying to pull in the cable.
    As these small parts don't seem to be readily available, I will replace the whole shifter poss quicker job too.
    Shame as I like to maintain rather than just replace all the time