Changing Crank arms

Exumanewbie
Exumanewbie Posts: 48
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I currently have some stock, no name and heavy crank arms on my 8 speed (2x8) Schwinn. I saw a good deal on some barely used Campangolo 130 BCD carbon crank arms. However,the description says that it is for a triple. Would it really make a difference? This is for the crank arms only and I plan on keeping the chainrings. Lastly, My bike, bought used, came with promax brakes and microshift sti levers. I saw some 105 brakes and shimano Claris sti shifters for a good price. Is this a wise upgrade? Thanks in advance.

Giles

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Personally, I start with a different question: Given that my current setup is xxx, what is the best way to spend £yyy?

I would be genuinely surprised if anyone suggests swapping out the crank arms.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    edited February 2017
    Performance improvement is minimal to do the swap as suggested and would necessitate swapping out the bottom bracket. As implied by Bobbinogs you could get more bang for your buck spending the money on upgrading other components.

The brakes are likely a worthwhile upgrade if priced accordingly especially if 105 5800 series.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    just buy some nice sunglasses. Or an aero helmet.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Campag use a 135 BCD which won't be compatible with your existing rings; nor will the arms fit your BB; nor will triple cranks work well with your double setup; nor is a piecemeal upgrade the best idea at this level of groupset. Better to replace the whole groupset with e.g. 105 (assuming the wheels can take an 11-speed cassette) or better to save up and replace the bike.
  • 964Cup wrote:
    Campag use a 135 BCD which won't be compatible with your existing rings; nor will the arms fit your BB; nor will triple cranks work well with your double setup; nor is a piecemeal upgrade the best idea at this level of groupset. Better to replace the whole groupset with e.g. 105 (assuming the wheels can take an 11-speed cassette) or better to save up and replace the bike.

Thanks. I was planning on changing the chainrings from a 52/42 to a 53/38 so I guess I'll change everything at once.