Cannock Chase

Crazyjenkins01
Crazyjenkins01 Posts: 409
edited March 2017 in MTB general
Thinking of a side trip on Friday on the way back from a few days training near Worksop to Devon for a wee bit of trail fun.

Is Cannock worth the detour for a couple hours fun? Otherwise I'll be stopping at Haldon Forest near Exeter to get my fix before heading back to Plymouth.
Cheers

Comments

• Was thinking I'd try somewhere new, have ridden Haldon a fair few times, and in the dark as a night race as its only an hour from me, just struggled to find any trail centre that's not too far from my M1/M42/M5 route home.
    Could go for just routes as apposed to centres but as I wont have masses of time/on my own/unfamiliar area I thought trail centre would be a safer bet (I tend to get lost...)!
  • Only ever been to Cannock, bpw and FOD but have to say. Cannock is fantastic. You shouldn't be disappointed
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Cannock sucks. Haldon is nearly as boring unless you get off the official trails and on to the unofficial stuff. FoD is pretty similar as well.
    The only good trail centres are in south wales.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Best thing about Cannock Chase

The birds that work in the cafe by slitting mill. Worth the visit alone
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Ignore Rockmonkey. He often states his opinion as if it is a fact. If you've never ridden Cannock Chase then give it a go and make your own mind up. It depends what you are used to riding and how experienced you are.
    I rode it for the first time last September and really enjoyed it.

If it's not too much of a detour then go for it.

Alternatively you could get off the M5 on to the M50 and ride FoD, or carry on to the M4 and go to Cwmcarn.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Thanks for all the input guys.

I did think of going over to FoD but its a bit far out of my way considering the distance to get back home from Worksop!
    Having never been to CC i thought that would be a good place to try and not too far of my route.
    The other option was Haldon as I know most of the off piste stuff, but I can go there pretty much when I want.
    Also need to be back home not too late as I'm picking the girls new bike up from Halfords (a Wiggins 16") ready to go out on Saturday with her, to get her riding on her own (finally!)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Cannock sucks. Haldon is nearly as boring unless you get off the official trails and on to the unofficial stuff. FoD is pretty similar as well.
    The only good trail centres are in south wales.

FoD is better than Cannock though. Cannock is poo
  • welshkev
    Thanks for all the input guys.

I did think of going over to FoD but its a bit far out of my way considering the distance to get back home from Worksop!
    Having never been to CC i thought that would be a good place to try and not too far of my route.
    The other option was Haldon as I know most of the off piste stuff, but I can go there pretty much when I want.
    Also need to be back home not too late as I'm picking the girls new bike up from Halfords (a Wiggins 16") ready to go out on Saturday with her, to get her riding on her own (finally!)

will you be heading down the M5 from birminghma/m42? FoD is only around 30 mins off the M5. probably around the same as cannock
  • welshkev
    FoD is over the bridge though isnt it Kev?

not if you're coming from the north mate. you'll come off the m5 at jnc 11 IIRC at Gloucester/cheltenham

or even down the m50
  • Thats cool, whats the parking prices like?

Also, I assume from your tag you might know about a decent trail centre around Cardiff/Merthyr? Gonna be working in South wales in a few weeks and will be staying in the Village Hotel Cardiff, or Ty Newydd Country hotel so thinking of trying to slope off early one afternoon for a little play. Was considering BPW but not sure if its any good if I've only got an hour or 2.
  • welshkev
    Thats cool, whats the parking prices like?

Also, I assume from your tag you might know about a decent trail centre around Cardiff/Merthyr? Gonna be working in South wales in a few weeks and will be staying in the Village Hotel Cardiff, or Ty Newydd Country hotel so thinking of trying to slope off early one afternoon for a little play. Was considering BPW but not sure if its any good if I've only got an hour or 2.

parking at FoD this time of year is £3 (3.50 in summer)

there's some great riding pretty much direct from the village hotel, but you'd need someone to show you around really.

BPW is good, but at £7 (maybe £8 these days as I've not been for a while) it's expensive and you'll probably only get 2 ride ups, runs down in 2 hours.

Both Cwmcarn and afan are approx. 35 mins away from the village. both equally good trail centres. if you're fit you can do both xc trails at cwmcarn in just under 3 hours - around 27km with about 800m climbing. or just do the one, they're both 14km with about 400m climbing.

afan has more choice and there's 2 visitors centres there - Afan and Glyncorrwg, they're about 10 mins drive away from each other. my favourite trail is Y Wal, but you can't go wrong with white's level or penydd either really.

hope this helps
  • JBA
    For FoD, get off the M5 at J8 on to the M50 and drive down to Cannop. Ride. Then drive down to Chepstow, across the old Severn Bridge to rejoin the M5. That will only add about 20 miles to your journey.

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • That's what i thought or BPW, might have to convince the Mrs to gimme a pass for a weekend!

Thanks for all the advice guys. Just about to shoot home to pick up suitcase and bike stuff then driving up to Worksop.
    Will decide which to ride on Friday then see what my mate reckons for when we're in Wales in a couple of weeks time.

Think Afan might be a winner for us but depends on if we can pinch an afternoon between inspections....
  • Try Cannock, unless your a pro you will find it really good. Not sure why there are a few saying it's pants. It's a really decent setup with everything an average rider will ever want.
  • welshkev
    Try Cannock, unless your a pro you will find it really good. Not sure why there are a few saying it's pants. It's a really decent setup with everything an average rider will ever want.

Because it is poo. I guess it depends what you're used to riding? Cannock in no way compares to any of the trails and trail centres I have on my door step.

It has no decent descents, the trees are so close together in some places you can't even get your bars throuugh them!

If it was the only place to ride near by, then obviously I'd ride there. But compared to other places, it's poo.
  • welshkev
    oxoman wrote:
    As above, it's got waymarkers and is kept in reasonable condition. At the end of the day it's your choice between compact trails or sprawling FOD.

Sprawling FoD? That's all way marked and both trails are only about 10km long, plus you can push/ride to the top of the DH tails in about 15 mins. Not that sprawling really.
  • All good info thanks guys. Will have a look at the weather but tjink I'm leaning towards FoD...
  • welshkev
    All good info thanks guys. Will have a look at the weather but tjink I'm leaning towards FoD...

If you're planning to ride there tomorrow mate check "pedalabikeaway" Facebook page. It says the trails will be closed tomorrow
  • Thanks Kev, won't be riding til Friday on the way back.
  • welshkev
    Just to add another to the mix, have you thought of 417 bike park? That's only about 5 mins off the m5
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    welshkev wrote:
    Just to add another to the mix, have you thought of 417 bike park? That's only about 5 mins off the m5

Have you been? It's really not worth the effort.
  • welshkev
    welshkev wrote:

Have you been? It's really not worth the effort.

No mate, but I drive past there quite often to visit a customer and have been tempted. But the price puts me off.
  • JBA
    I drive past 417 once or twice a week so called in one day last autumn for a look around. From what I saw it's not worth £33 for admission and a day's uplift. I don't think there is enough there to keep you occupied for more than a couple of hours.

• So I managed Sherwood Pines in Thursday night, very wet and not a great a,out of time available but better than nothing. Fair few trees down as well which didn't help.
    Stopped off at FoD on the way back Friday as well for a play and enjoyed it. Only had time to do the red route but worth the stop.
  • welshkev
    So I managed Sherwood Pines in Thursday night, very wet and not a great a,out of time available but better than nothing. Fair few trees down as well which didn't help.
    Stopped off at FoD on the way back Friday as well for a play and enjoyed it. Only had time to do the red route but worth the stop.

Glad you enjoyed fod :) if you go again, I actually prefer the blue route and usually do that instead. I find it a bit more flowy
  • Thanks for the input Kev.
    I struggle on climbs as my fitness is pretty non-existant so my times are always crap if there's much climbing. I am getting better at descending though, I managed a couple of berms on near horizontal withouth losing the back wheel (which I am good at!) and even managed a small manual over one rooty section which I have been struggling with :)