Wheel advice - can of worms

nolobes
nolobes Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

First post, so be gentle.

I'm in the market for some new wheels for my new bike (2017 canyon ultimate cf slx).

I got rid of the mavics after reading reviews and already owning DA C24s.

Most of my riding is in Norfolk, solo and in groups. I try to ride as fast as my legs permit, which is around 20mph solo.

As I have some climbing type wheels already, I'd like some deep section wheels to take advantage of the relative flatness of the geography and the speed I'm constantly trying to improve.

My goals are to increase my speed. I have a power based training plan which I follow, so this is about the equipment only. That's pretty much it. Aesthetically I'd like something in keeping with my bike, which is matte black.

My budget is up to £1400, although I am not wedded to the idea of spending that much, anything considered.

Thanks.

Comments

• I've got a set of Dura Ace 9000 C50 tubulars that I rate very highly. A view of what a lot of the pro teams (domestic and continental), are riding confirms they're up to the task. Arguably the best hubs on the market and pretty resilient rims compared to some others.

If you don't intend racing, I'd question the need to spend more than half your suggested price. In fact even for racing, I'd probably question the same :D

I got a set of Zuus 60mm clinchers for knocking about on. Can't fault them to be fair despite what some people may say... Da9000's for racing. Mavic Ksyrium SR's for hillier training rides...
  • Reynolds, Enve, Zipps etc etc
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Hed Jet Black 60.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    You've bought a lightweight climbing orientated bike; given the riding you do I'd have thought a more aero-framed model would have suited better - and come with more appropriate wheels??
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    it is a can of worms and one you can torment yourself with for a weeks. I've got fulcrum quattro carbons. I like them but at 40mm they look good but don't really offer any free speed. Well at least not in the same way as my mates Reynolds 58 aeros that he introduced yesterday. If you are riding in the flatlands then you will benefit more from deeper rims but maybe only as much as an aero helmet and a decent position.

Here are another set to look at.
    http://ridefullgas.com/the-speedster-dm858-super-fast-boys-28mm-wide-58mm-deep-1565g-pair/
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Considering Norfolk is as flat as a pancake I would save yourself some money and just get some 60mm Planet X rims. They may be slightly heavier but I see no hills to worry you on that score. Absolutely no point buying grand plus top end rims when you are nowhere near going at speeds where you can do them justice. 20mph is tbh decidedly average. 'IF' you just want something pretty and expensive to stick on your bike cos you can then just buy anything that flicks your switch since you have your priorities wrong
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    parts of norfolk are quite hilly. It is also blowy still a deeper u shaped rim is the only way a wheel will improve your pace dont expect miracles though.

Also it is wrong to say really expensive aero wheels benefit only fast riders. Aero wheels reduce your drag coeffricent if you reduce Cd by 5% you reduce power by 5% at any speed. conversely time on a course is direction proportional to the cube root of Cd and inversely proportional to the cube root of power. Is essense lower cd you lower the time taken to finish a course at any speed/power. a 5% drop in Cd leads to ~1.7% drop in time taken for a fixed power output (i.e 1 minute on a 40km TT). Now wheels may or may not give a 5% drop in Cd as that depends on the wheel and what you are comparing them to but the number is in the ball park just to give you an idea.
    That said if you spend £3000 on ENVE's I would wager that those planet X rims (if the wide and torodial) wont fair much worse.

The physics is clear. Aero kit benefits all riders not just the fast ones. I'll get flamed again for saying this I always do but the physics is quite well known and well worn.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • nolobes wrote:
    Hi all,

First post, so be gentle.

I'm in the market for some new wheels for my new bike (2017 canyon ultimate cf slx).

I got rid of the mavics after reading reviews and already owning DA C24s.

Most of my riding is in Norfolk, solo and in groups. I try to ride as fast as my legs permit, which is around 20mph solo.

As I have some climbing type wheels already, I'd like some deep section wheels to take advantage of the relative flatness of the geography and the speed I'm constantly trying to improve.

My goals are to increase my speed. I have a power based training plan which I follow, so this is about the equipment only. That's pretty much it. Aesthetically I'd like something in keeping with my bike, which is matte black.

My budget is up to £1400, although I am not wedded to the idea of spending that much, anything considered.

Thanks.

If you are on Shimano I have a pair of lightly used Token c50's for sale.
    Bought last August and used for one month, £1099 rrp, yours for £600.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/token-c50-full-carbon-clincher-wheelset/?lang=en&curr=GBP&dest=1&sku=5360742375&kpid=5360742375&utm_source=google&utm_term&utm_campaign=UK_PLA_Components&utm_medium=base&utm_content=mkwid%7csSyGFcN2B_dc%7cpcrid%7c67090789142%7cpkw%7c%7cpmt%7c%7cprd%7c5360742375uk
    I am in Norwich.
  • paul1000
    paul1000 Posts: 190
    Hi, I'm in the same dilemma, looked at the Reynolds strike but very low spoke count and people say they're quite flexy. I'm now looking at the spin koppenberg 58's, spoke to ridefullgas and they are hand built to your weight etc, are 28mm wide and tubeless, does anyone own these?
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,744
    Absolutely no point buying grand plus top end rims when you are nowhere near going at speeds where you can do them justice. 20mph is tbh decidedly average. 'IF' you just want something pretty and expensive to stick on your bike cos you can then just buy anything that flicks your switch since you have your priorities wrong

Assuming they mean 20mph average over a ride rather than that is their top end in a flat sprint it sounds very respectable to me.

Of course there are other factors such as how far they are riding and i'm assuming they aren't doing all their training on a TT bike on a dual carriageway but a 20mph average on a decent length solo ride isn't bad.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Absolutely no point buying grand plus top end rims when you are nowhere near going at speeds where you can do them justice. 20mph is tbh decidedly average. 'IF' you just want something pretty and expensive to stick on your bike cos you can then just buy anything that flicks your switch since you have your priorities wrong

Assuming they mean 20mph average over a ride rather than that is their top end in a flat sprint it sounds very respectable to me.

Of course there are other factors such as how far they are riding and i'm assuming they aren't doing all their training on a TT bike on a dual carriageway but a 20mph average on a decent length solo ride isn't bad.

Yes it's respectable but still quite average. Point is buying grand plus wheels will not make much difference to overall speed compared to a cheaper brand which weigh a bit more. As was pointed out it may save a minute over 40km (though going at a much higher average speed that 20mph) so is it cost effective to spend so much for minimal gains? Not really. Would Planet X wheels serve to provide same or similar gains for a fraction of the cost? Most likely
    58585 Posts: 207
    You have a good budget so I suggest not messing about - buy a set of Campagnolo Boras and forget about it. Either ones or ultra's if you get lucky, at 50mm. You can go Fulcrums if you worry about the campagnolo/shimano thing.

There is no point buying cheap(er) carbon wheels and regretting it in a year or so and these hold value very well. If you aren't racing then even more point to go for something nice since you won't worry about crashing them.