GPS Device for use with Strava

racheljane
racheljane Posts: 6
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Sorry, probably a bit of a numpty beginner question here! I've just got back into road cycling and am using Strava (it's addictive!) and have now built up my ride distance to 100km rides at the weekend. My current set up of using my android phone on a phone mount for route-following and recording GPX info to Strava is impractical because the battery life is so poor....

What can I buy (probably second hand on Ebay) which can do routes, provided data for strava, and (hopefully!) also measure cadence and heart rate too, because I'd like to start recording that data as well.

Don't want to spend a fortune on it, but would like something with battery life of 6 hrs plus if possible!

Comments

• bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    I'm currently using a second hand Garmin Edge 800 that I picked up on eBay. It's a full featured unit that can be picked up for good prices now that it's several generations behind, and does almost all of what a more recent device does. Cadence and heat rate sensors you'll probably have to pick up separately though, unless you come across someone selling them as a package.

If you need the Strava live segments it won't do those though, although there is a bodge that gives you something similar.
  • Thanks Bungle. That looks suitable, although I'd really love it if I could pick something up for less than £75 or so...!
  • How about a Garmin 500. Relatively old tech so pricing should be at the cheap end, but can do all you ask for.

The routes are breadcrumb trails rather than a map but are easy enough to navigate with.
  • You could probably pick up a second hand Garmin Edge 500 or Edge 25 on that budget but you would be very lucky to score speed/cadence sensors or an HRM as well. Both units will do the most basic kind of route navigation - a breadcrumb trail with turn notifications - but the 500 at least is known to not be the most trustworthy device in this respect. If you want the kind of navigation you might recognise from a car GPS and the extra sensors to go along with it you will need to at least triple your budget, if buying new from a recognised retailer.

Another option might be the Lezyne units - again basic navigation and Bluetooth connectivity rather than the ANT+ favoured by Garmin, about £150 new with bundled HRM and speed/cadence sensor.

Might be worth looking into getting a decent external battery for your phone instead? Add a cheap Bluetooth HRM? Certainly a lot cheaper!

Regards, EEM.
  • Micrographia - don't think external battery for the phone will work - it is difficult to charge already! Will the Lexyne units work with Strava?
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    racheljane wrote:
    Micrographia - don't think external battery for the phone will work - it is difficult to charge already! Will the Lexyne units work with Strava?

All Strava needs is the .gpx file from your rides. As long as you can get that, all you need to do is upload it to their website. With my Garmin you can set it to automatically upload to Strava when you import the data from the device. I'm not sure if that's possible with the Lezynes.
  • racheljane wrote:
    Micrographia - don't think external battery for the phone will work - it is difficult to charge already! Will the Lexyne units work with Strava?

Yes, they work fine. I use one of the original Mini GPS units (no navigation ability at all) on my work hack.