Ksyrium Freehub replacement

ic.
ic. Posts: 769
edited February 2017 in Workshop
I have a set of Mavic Ksyrium Elite S, 2015 version. The freehub has started giving me the famed "Mavic death squeal"

Looking for a replacement M11 freehub, I'm confused which one I need. There appears to be a new FTS model, which is more common than the older looking model

Which is the correct one for my wheels, please?

Thanks
2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
2015 CAAD8 105 - very green - stripped to turbo bike
2018 Planet X Exocet 2 - grey

The departed:

2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - sold
Boardman CX Team - sold
Cannondale Synapse - broken
Cube Streamer - stolen
Boardman Road Comp - stolen

Comments

• You don't need a whole new freehub, you can just replace the bushing in your existing one.

Do you service the freehub regularly? If there's no play in the existing freehub then there's no need to replace anything, just a relube should see you right for another several hundred miles. If there is, you can prise the old white plastic bushing out, press in a new one and it'll be good as new. The hardest part is finding a nice thin lube that won't cause drag but also will last a while.

I used to service mine every 6 months or so, I'd heard about the death squeal but never experienced it myself; eventually the bushing in mine wore to the point that the whole freehub (and thus cassette) had a lot of play and it started to affect the shifting so I pursued an alternative fix.
  • You don't need a whole new freehub, you can just replace the bushing in your existing one.

Do you service the freehub regularly? If there's no play in the existing freehub then there's no need to replace anything, just a relube should see you right for another several hundred miles. If there is, you can prise the old white plastic bushing out, press in a new one and it'll be good as new. The hardest part is finding a nice thin lube that won't cause drag but also will last a while.

I used to service mine every 6 months or so, I'd heard about the death squeal but never experienced it myself; eventually the bushing in mine wore to the point that the whole freehub (and thus cassette) had a lot of play and it started to affect the shifting so I pursued an alternative fix.

Mavic mechanics recommend Shimano mineral oil (for brakes)
  • I've tried that, as well as nearly every other lube in my garage over the years; IMO Shimano Mineral Oil is just too thin.

It felt really nice when freshly serviced, but longevity was pretty poor. When I next serviced it after using that it was almost dry inside so I can't imagine it would've kept the squeal at bay for much longer.

The worst I found was Finish Line XC Wet Lube (way too thick) and the best, RockShox 5wt suspension oil.