27.5 Plus or 29er

Rich755
Rich755 Posts: 9
edited June 2017 in MTB buying advice
All, need some help here, looking at getting a full sus trail bike, current bike is a hardtail Cube 29er which i love but its getting on a bit now. So my question is should i go for the 27.5 plus or a 29er

Also i am fine with the 29er bikes on the market but i know nothing about the 27.5 plus bikes so any recommendations would be good.

Comments

• yiannism
    yiannism Posts: 345
    I had the same dilemma with you a few months ago. I was all over a 29er, but then i found a used Felt seven thirty on a great condition and on a great price (430 euros), so since i am mostly a roadie i need the 2nd bike just for fun. I was very skeptical about 27.5 but i gave a try. After 2 months with it and 300km those are my conclusions

It has slower top speed on tarmac and some times i feel that need more gears, but at the off road is where it shines. It feels lighter, is better at cornering and the most important for me since i do some cross country accelerates way better on climbing. In general the handling is better on the technical routes.

So to answer your question. If you need an all around bike then you go for the 29, if your main terrain is off road from my indeed small experience i would say that 27.5 is the way to go.

Now as far as about the 27.5+ they just have bigger tires, the ordinary one its up to 2.4, the + up to 3.0. It gives you a better grip on the off road, and suppose to be as fast as the 29er at the top speed, but i really dont think that you need that, my 2.2 tires give me enough grip to go anywhere.

Just my 2 cents.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    27+ is a dead end. Tyres are rare and expensive.

I like 29er, but likely that fatter but not plus 27.5 will become more popular, around 2.5/2.6.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    27.5 is being dropped from next year by some major manufacturers (the ones who pushed it to start with). I wouldn't consider it. 3" tyres just don't work in muddy conditions.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    He means 27.5+ I think ^^^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    cooldad wrote:
    He means 27.5+ I think ^^^^^^^^^^^

Yes I do
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I can see 27.5 with the ability to take wider tyres being popular, circa 3" when appropriate and back down to 2.25 ishe when it suites.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • I went from s super light Scott Scale 10 on 26 to full suss carbon cross country Cube on 29, yes the new bike is heavier but way (way) faster over most ground.

29er all day long for me
  • MattW123
    MattW123 Posts: 7
    Do people really think 27.5 plus will disappear? All the reviews online seem to say how great it is and it seems to get better times on multiple surfaces than 27.5 and 29er. I want to know because one of the bikes I am considering is the Scott Spark 710 plus which has an awesome review http://www.mbr.co.uk/reviews/full-suspe ... k-710-plus
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    27.5 plus makes sense in certain areas, in a wet UK the tyres are a liability, too narrow to float over mud like a fat bike and too wide to sink through to the hardpack below, they just plough a trough for normal bikes to follow.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.