Bryton Cycle Computers

myideal
myideal Posts: 231
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
Hi,

I notice a lot is written about Garmin and even Wahoo but not much is said about Bryton. Now I have a rider 50, had it for about 3yrs now and can't fault it. I notice they have an app now and are upgrading their severs , which is a bit of a pain as all my rides need to transfer over.

However their 530 looks a decent bit of kit and on Amazon it's a reasonable price as well. Just wondering if anyone has purchased one? What their thoughts are? It says it pairs with strava and seems to do everything of a Garmin, however just seems strange at the price point it is, people have not been talking about it and purchasing it.

Maybe I'm missing something?

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • myideal
    Yes but was just wondering if people in the community are actually using them etc. Doesn't seem to be many people with them.
  • I believe Bryton have abandoned the UK market - they are no longer distributed in the UK, although the odd site seems to be listing them. Buyer beware for support ...
  • myideal
    Thats Interesting to know and a real shame. It does seem like Garmin have very little competition and you would think that could be good in driving forward development and reducing costs.
  • Sadly, little competition means the opposite.
  • myideal
    Yes that was what I meant. Didn't word it the best though. :)

If you look at their 530 and the price point it makes it something that should instantly attract interest and be a winner - even the bike radar reviews were positive about it.

I wonder why they just don't try and sell direct as such if they want to keep costs down? Also why choose other markets over the UK? Are we that attached to Garmin?
  • The overall market for the UK must be limited, and if you split that down again between Garmin, Wahoo, Cateye, Lezyne and one or two others, it probably doesn’t amount to enough units to make it worthwhile. I think the main problem with Bryton has always been poor support - I've looked at them in the past and superficially they offer a lot, but then looking at their UK Facebook page, when it was alive, showed numerous problems with software and delivery, which never seemed to have an adequate response. I had some discussions with Zyro, when they were distributors, about the then forthcoming Rider 60 - we eventually both gave up waiting - they dropped the dealership and I bought a Mio (who have now gone the same way) and then a Wahoo (returned - too many issues) and then a series of Garmins, all of which, bar the 1000 I now have, had issues not acceptable at their price points.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    Horizon wrote:
    I believe Bryton have abandoned the UK market - they are no longer distributed in the UK, although the odd site seems to be listing them. Buyer beware for support ...

I bought a Rider 100E at the weekend from Amazon.

Are you saying they will be disappearing?
  • myideal
    That's the disappointing thing with all this cycle tech as it very rarely seems like you get something that just works. It's so annoying as it's not cheap kit in some cases and thats why I thought looking at that new Bryton they had potentially a real winner on their hands.
  • myideal wrote:
    That's the disappointing thing with all this cycle tech as it very rarely seems like you get something that just works.

People like to complain when things go wrong. I've had a Garmin Edge 500 for years, a Garmin Edge 820 for a couple of months, both used with a variety of HRMs and speed/cadence sensors, and a Lezyne Mini GPS for over a year. All have just worked. Which isn't to say they couldn't be improved mind...