Man nearly down - me

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited February 2017 in Commuting chat
Going into town on my hack bike (old steel MTB) turning right at a junction, went to the front of the queu and into the cycle box, one car behind in the turn right lane. There is a big queue coming the other way so no imminent chance of making the turn.

As I pull away the Audi (stereotype reinforcement) obviously doesn't like the fact I've come in front of him, despite the fact he can't turn right either he leans on his horn at me as I move to the middle of the junction, as I stop to wait for a gap, stil leaning on the horn he drives straight into the back of me.

Saddle hit me in the jacksy, fortunately I was off to one side so the point of the saddle went into a buttock (straight down the middle wouldn't have been much fun!) on the wallet, bike rears up, I managed to stay on my feet but the bike went down.

Driver started off all aggresive as if it's my fault but a witness pointed out that his leaning on the horn kind of put his state of mind in perspective and that at the end of the day I had to stop and he'd just not stopped. He then got all apologetic and as I hadn't suffered any real injury and the bike was fine I let it go at that. Hopefully he's learnt his lesson.
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    What a tool! As you say hopefully lesson learnt and he won't injure someone next time a bike is in front of him.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt he's learnt anything. I miss the old days when you could run idiots through with your sword.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • What a spanner! Started legal proceeding yet to repair your bike and any injuries to yourself, plus informed police?
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Do the whole reporting thing. He won't learn anything otherwise.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • The Rookie wrote:

Driver started off all aggresive as if it's my fault but a witness pointed out that his leaning on the horn kind of put his state of mind in perspective and that at the end of the day I had to stop and he'd just not stopped. He then got all apologetic and as I hadn't suffered any real injury and the bike was fine I let it go at that. Hopefully he's learnt his lesson.

Maybe I've seen too much of Game of Thrones recently, but putting a large sword through his neck would have felt good... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • imatfaal
    imatfaal Posts: 2,716
    Glad you are ok - and the bike is in one piece (thank heaven for steel mtbs). Hope he has learnt a lesson
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    How the f@ck will he have learnt a lesson? He attacked you with a ton of metal and has gone unpunished. At the very least I think he needs a visit from plod to explain to him what the road markings mean and how to behave at junctions.

He may be a serial offender and the next time it could turn out very differently
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    keef66 wrote:
    How the f@ck will he have learnt a lesson? He attacked you with a ton of metal and has gone unpunished. At the very least I think he needs a visit from plod to explain to him what the road markings mean and how to behave at junctions.

He may be a serial offender and the next time it could turn out very differently

This.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,315
    Maybe I've seen too much of Game of Thrones recently, but putting a large sword through his neck would have felt good... :roll:
    I haven't seen Game of Thrones, I though Cooldad just said that because he's really old. But running him through with a sword would be an appropriate response, one attack with a deadly weapon merits the same in return.
  • The lesson he has learnt is that if he's spotted by a witness, called out on it, he can apologise and get away with it.

Chins up for the next vulnerable road users he decides to give a nudge.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    With an old hack I'd say a good, old fashioned bike throw into the pr*cks front windscreen wouldn't be too out of order.

But yes, the joker will have learnt nothing and will probably be out looking to "even" the score next time he sees a bike with no witnesses around.

Report him.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If he hasnt learned anything already then all he will learn from being reported and visited by plod is that "all cyclists are cnuts", which he already believes anyway. He wont suddenly realise he was in the wrong - he will think you are even more in the wrong for victimising him...

Unfortunately there is no easy way to win him around and get him to be more tolerant and behave better.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Even if he learns nothing, it'll be on record if there was ever a next time.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    He hit you - no need for the bystander to point anything out - he HIT you. Up to you but I'd possibly not be as forgiving as you.
  • apreading wrote:

Unfortunately there is no easy way to win him around and get him to be more tolerant and behave better.

Hence not worth keeping him alive... :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I could report him, as noted nothing is likely to happen, as such I think he's more likely to learn to be a bit more considerate if I don't try and take it further.

I will admit chucking the bike at the car did momentarily pass through my head, but it risked damaging the bike!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • He almost certainly thinks that he's taught you a lesson.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Veronese68 wrote:
    I haven't seen Game of Thrones, I though Cooldad just said that because he's really old. But running him through with a sword would be an appropriate response, one attack with a deadly weapon merits the same in return.

In my day it was all stone axes and stuff, but I believe the youngsters use bronze. Even rumours of something called steel, but that's just silly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools