Broken crankset spindle = man down

Comments

• paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    It would be interesting to know what the frame/bottom bracket spec was. Because that looks like a press fit, but not a Shimano press fit, possibly with an adaptor. If the installation was allowing the spindle to bend then that might start to explain the sequence of events.

Paul
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The bottom bracket was the standard Hollowtech then?
  • The BB was a Rotor 4224 (BB30/24mm adapter).

That is my only concern that Shimano will blame the fact it was installed and that it isn't a shimano BB, but we will see. I would rather know one way or the other what has caused it.
  • I don't think Shimano can have a valid argument against another brand of BB without a good rationale. They are, after all, component manufacturers and, as such, their parts should be designed to fit a range of installations. They might show that there is a serious fault with the BB or its installation but one would hope that their was enough safety margin in their crank design to overcome minor issues.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I assume the bearing hasn't seized?
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    This is scary stuff that you really don't want to think about. There have been a few examples of the 6800 chainset coming un-glued and breaking (or is it breaking then coming un-glued?). It was somewhere on this forum I think. The 6800 is glued together in two halves, the 5800, just forged. I had a 5750 which had a steel axle and I think the 5800 might have too FWIW.
  • paul2718
    paul2718 Posts: 471
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    The BB was a Rotor 4224 (BB30/24mm adapter).

That is my only concern that Shimano will blame the fact it was installed and that it isn't a shimano BB, but we will see. I would rather know one way or the other what has caused it.
    I've no idea what attitude Shimano will have, but I hope they are open minded and produce a comprehensive report.

It would be interesting to know, as a user of a Shimano crank in a Shimano BB and a Rotor crank also in a Shimano BB.

Did the left crank and BB bearing separate from the bike when it failed?

Paul
  • paul2718 wrote:
    dazz_ni45 wrote:
    The BB was a Rotor 4224 (BB30/24mm adapter).

I've no idea what attitude Shimano will have, but I hope they are open minded and produce a comprehensive report.

It would be interesting to know, as a user of a Shimano crank in a Shimano BB and a Rotor crank also in a Shimano BB.

Did the left crank and BB bearing separate from the bike when it failed?

Paul

Yes, I had just stood up for a sprint internal up a small include and the next thing I remember is impacting with the ground as the left crank had come away from the bike. Once I had recovered I assume the crank had simply come off the spindle as the same had happened a club mate a few months back, but I was surprised when I saw part of the spindle still attached to the crank that had come off and with the bearings also attached.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    laurentian wrote:
    I'm sure there was a thread on here a few months ago referring to this specific problem with Ultegra

I'm sure it's the 3rd time I've seen this type of failure reported with Ultegra....hope Tiagra doesn't have the same problem!

Scary, as someone who rides mostly alone - have this kind of problem at the foot of a blind summit and it doesn't bare thinking about.
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Dinyull wrote:
    laurentian wrote:
    I'm sure there was a thread on here a few months ago referring to this specific problem with Ultegra

I'm sure it's the 3rd time I've seen this type of failure reported with Ultegra....hope Tiagra doesn't have the same problem!

Scary, as someone who rides mostly alone - have this kind of problem at the foot of a blind summit and it doesn't bare thinking about.

Pinch a few grams over Tiagra/105 by having a thin alloy axle and glued together hollow crank arms :shock: ... Cranks have a few fairly well known failure modes anyway (cracking at the spider adjacent to the crank arm, and at the pedal hole) but, introducing two new ones. Gulp.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I'm going to take a magnet to my HT2 spindles out of curiosity (5600 and 4500)
  • Dinyull wrote:
    laurentian wrote:

Thankfully I'd nothing broken and was able to walk as I was on a road that only ever sees sheep or farmers trying to find their sheep. I had no mobile reception and had to walk for about 2.5 miles to the nearest house to call for help.
  • I keep meaning to ask, given what normally happens, are your bowlarks ok?
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • I keep meaning to ask, given what normally happens, are your bowlarks ok?

Bowlarks?
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    I keep meaning to ask, given what normally happens, are your bowlarks ok?

Bowlarks?

Testicles.

I have to say that I darent even think about that
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    I keep meaning to ask, given what normally happens, are your bowlarks ok?

Bowlarks?

Yeah, you know, down there ;) autocorrect won't let me spell the actual word :D
  • keef66
    What, you can't actually type bollocks?
  • keef66
    So you can't! How about B0llocks?
  • Ahh...... The concussion must still be in play lol

Thankfully no damage at all which is surprising. From what I can recall, I was pitched sideways onto my elbow and shoulder so avoided the top tube which I'm sure my bowlarks are very thankful for!
  • laurentian wrote:

Thanks, one photo halfway down the first page is what happened to mine and interestingly the person after posted wondering if it was bearing failure. This is probably what shimano will also suggest but I'm not sure how you could prove it one way or the other...
  • dazz_ni45 wrote:
    Ahh...... The concussion must still be in play lol

Thankfully no damage at all which is surprising. From what I can recall, I was pitched sideways onto my elbow and shoulder so avoided the top tube which I'm sure my bowlarks are very thankful for!

Recently on the TrainerRoad podcast they were discussing chains snapping and one of the guys said he actually broke the top-tube on a carbon frame when the chain snapped and his crotch slammed down onto it! At least you can be thankful you were spared that fate, otherwise it would have felt like a very long walk indeed :lol:
  • I broke a Dura ace left hand crank and sent it back to Madison who sent out to Shimano. Response came back that it was my fault that it had broken so they wouldn't replace. I asked them to return it so I could have it analysed myself. They then send a brand new one.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sale of Goods Act (which applied when you bought it) not fit for purpose.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Well that's the bike sent back to Madison today. Should have been sent earlier in the week if hadn't have been for my unhelpful local bike shop so they have lost a customer and a different bike shop who I've never dealt with before has just gained one. Madison will only arrange collection from a bike shop that they have an account with otherwise I would have boxed it myself.
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    Any update? Came across this on Facebook today.

18119484_10156458400949848_1246926544806352977_n.jpg?oh=d48f0435691c052863fe9797047e0936&oe=598B3FD6
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Is it normal to have a bearing stuck to the axle in Shimano HT2 cranks? Never seen anything like it
    left the forum March 2023
  • Is it normal to have a bearing stuck to the axle in Shimano HT2 cranks? Never seen anything like it
    Yes that's weird - the bearing retaining cup is nowhere to be seen?
  • Man Of Lard
    Man Of Lard Posts: 903
    Is the red in the sandwich not the detached faceplate from the BB retaining cup? If I had a spare one here to take a chisel to, I'd take a look.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    Is the red in the sandwich not the detached faceplate from the BB retaining cup? If I had a spare one here to take a chisel to, I'd take a look.

If the spindle got so corroded and swell so much to fuse with the BB bearing, it is no surprise it also failed... I suspect these failures are down to very sloppy maintenance... ride on salty roads and never clean your bike kind of thing
    left the forum March 2023