Need new tyres advice please

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi

I need to replace my ageing Panaracer Frire xc pro tyres, now I have a bit of dilema to many to choose from so looking for advice, I don't do nothing xtream so something that works on multi terain, also the current are 2.1 but feels like they are narrow. Could I get something that are bit wider to offer bit more plushnes on hardtail :D, I'm a tight buger so cheaper they better

Current rim spec, they are basic rims

Rim ID 104
Manufacturer Alex
Model ACE18
Descriptor
Tire Size ISO 559 (26" mtn)
ERD 540.7 mm 0
Offset drilling 0 L, 0 R
Outer width 21.8 mm
Inner width 16.5 mm
Weight 460 g v

Thanks
Ade

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rim is pretty irrelevant to the choice, although with an inner rim of less than 16.5mm I wouldn't go any wider than a 2.25.

The XC Pro is still a tyre that works well across a wide range of conditions if not brilliantly on any one.

It would help to give some clarity on what your usual surface conditions are as that is key to tyre choice.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ade555
    Don't know what to call the type of surface I would say more sort of hard packed, in places muddy and soft, I normaly go to chicksands but not the bike park or woburn, also general riding with family, the XC pro is good tyre planty grip just feels like more sort of narrower tyre for muddy condition or maybe is just me.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Get a pair of Specialized tyres. They are always on offer somewhere.
    A 2.3 Purgatory on the front (if you have sufficient clearance) and 2.1 Ground Control on the back is a good combination.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Cheaper is rarely better with tyres. Cheaper models have harder compounds and generally wire beads, so heavier.

The actual make tyre makes less difference than the model of the tyre. And tread pattern.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ade555
    How about Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance Folding MTB Tyre 26x2.25 on offer at the moment
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    JBA wrote:
    Get a pair of Specialized tyres. They are always on offer somewhere.
    A 2.3 Purgatory on the front (if you have sufficient clearance) and 2.1 Ground Control on the back is a good combination.

This, have been using Specialized Purgatory and Ground Controls for a few years, can get them for £20 eacg
  • ade555 wrote:
    How about Schwalbe Nobby Nic Performance Folding MTB Tyre 26x2.25 on offer at the moment
    If you're concerned about price, you should also consider the longevity. Because Nobby Nic is definitely not a long lasting choice.