Cycling Shoes

M&M27
M&M27 Posts: 7
edited April 2018 in Women's cycling forum
Hello!

I'm looking into getting my first pair of clip in shoes, but I need some tips on which ones to get, so I'd love to hear what has worked and hasn't worked for you!

I have very small (5-5.5 us) feet and the biggest problem I've run into is finding a shoe small enough for me.

TIA!

Comments

• trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    Girlfriend has just got her first clipless shoes, went with these from Start Cycles. She is a 5 in UK size running shoes and the 38 was a perfect fit - http://www.startfitness.co.uk/cycle/foo ... -5128.html
  • bikergirl17
    bikergirl17 Posts: 344
    I have about size 6 us and sidi women fit me perfectly. They run small and narrow - so not great if you have wide feet. They aren't cheap - the carbon sole version is about £300 but they also made a decent entry level with a somewhat less stiff sole. I'm on my 4th pair in 14 years - they last.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    My missus has slightly larger feet, she is a uk 6 - us 8 and EU 38-39.

She went for mens shoes (well i bought them to try and get her away from trainers).

www.wiggle.co.uk/northwave-sonic-2-srs-road-shoes/

She really likes the fit and hasnt had any complainst (other than 1 clipless moment)
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    My partner has used Specialized BG shoes for the past 10 years ... 3 pairs and all have been fine with no fit or foot pain issues (she's a UK size 5 if that helps) …
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • My wife uses Specialized aswell, loves them, really comfortable. She is normally a Size 6 in shoes/trainers etc, but needed a 7 in the cycling shoes. Hope this helps.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    My son uses Northwave Hammer and he's a UK size 2.75(US 3.75/EU35).
    I believe NW do the shoe from size 2UK right through including 1/2 sizes.
  • Dont rule out MTB shoes for road bike. You can walk in them!! Obviously you have to fit the right pedals too
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    Somewhere online my husband found size 1 SPD shoes for our 8yo son. I now think any size is possible if you just look long enough.
  • pitters
    pitters Posts: 12
    I am a uk 3 and love my fizik cycling shoes. They are a boa fastening and it’s great and so comfy
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    My mrs has size ten feet. She’s a big old unit and swears by the giro wide fit lace ups.
  • For your first set of clipless I'd go for MTB shoes and pedals. Shimano SPDs are great for getting used to the feeling of being clipped in. There is a lot of float (you can still move your feet around while being clipped in) and you can walk in the shoes. You can also adjust the pedal so you can clip in and out easier. My right commuting pedal is easier to get out of than left.

I started like this and then tried other pedals along the way.

My feet are bigger than yours and I have to go for mens shoes. It is best to get to a shop and try them on. I've made some expensive mistakes thinking that buying on the internet will be OK and then stubbornly not sending them back because I like the look of the shoes.

Mavic and specialized are great, I've found. Sidi are expensive and great. Giro and Northwave come up small and tight (at least for me). I'm wearing Evans own brand at the moment for commuting - Louis Garneau.

If you spend a lot of time in them you will probably need to get the cleats fitted properly and innersoles to support your arches. If you fit the cleat yourself watch youtube videos to get them in the right position on your shoes.

Hope that helps
  • dizzydane
    dizzydane Posts: 322
    I agree with LavaLavaDome. My commuter has MTB cleats and shoes and its the easiest ride to clip in and out of. Try plenty in shops, research sizing as some brands fir very differently, don't spend too much on your first pair and adjust/change with time to what suits.