Purchasing my first Road bike advice.

Stella:or:wine
Stella:or:wine Posts: 5
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
Evening people, my first post on here and I'm after some advice on buying my first Drop-bar. First of all let me tell you about myself. Turned 40 last August and after looking at my birthday pics and saw a fat bloated bloke that needed some attention. So I decided to buy a bike and after some *research* I bought a hybrid bike ( *research*= I liked the colour). After 4 months and getting quite an addiction to cycling I'm ready to move on to the next level. I've a budget of £1000 and looking for advice on the best way to go. Im a total novice on terminology etc, but have a basic understanding on Shimano group sets (105 v Tiagra) and how bicycle manufacturers compensate with frame's, wheels etc. Looking for endurance over speed although strava makes me want to go faster ( and destroy everybody else).
So any advice would be most grateful.

Comments

• Cheers for that "mostly".
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    I had the Decathlon Triban for 18 months. Perfectly decent bike, according to an ex-pro in Mallorca, especially for the money (just change the naff tyres)
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,498
    If it were me with a max budget of a grand right now, I'd get:
    CAAD8 105 and sell the standard wheels and replace them with something like Hunt 4Season Aero V2 wheels - ideally with tubeless tyres.
  • Big thank you for all the feedback. Got a lot to think about now and get some research done on all your suggestions while the mrs watches all that crappy soap opera rubbish. Cheers people.
  • With much the same constraints I ended up with a 2016 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc - 105 all round, carbon frame, discs and under £1k (on sale down by over 30% at the moment). Pleased so far :D
  • Genesis Equilibrium.
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,387
    djone101 wrote:
    With much the same constraints I ended up with a 2016 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc - 105 all round, carbon frame, discs and under £1k (on sale down by over 30% at the moment). Pleased so far :D

The above caught my eye - seems like an awful lot of bike for the money
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • I bought the Cube GTC Pro Disc, there last month. It's a very good bike for the money, I was making a step up from a trek 1.2 which got me back into cycling 18mths ago.
    The only thing I would say it might seem a lot of money at the time, but at least you wouldn't be looking to upgrade in 12-18mths if you get into it (cycling).
    If my budget could have stretched a little I would have bought this:-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/cube ... lsrc=aw.ds

But I could not have justified spending £350 on this upgrade. Spend the extra on some cycling items like A Helmet and clothing,
  • Join the Cube owners club, there are quite a few of us on here now. Very happy with mine, I bought from Hargroves Cycles at £999, Rutland Cycling also still have most sizes at same price

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13074495

31261487503_0e7f3d5385_z.jpg
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • Those Cube Attain GTC Pro 2016s look lovely and the price is incredible post-referendum, if they weren't limited to 28c tyres I would sprint down to Hargroves in Totton and do my best Fry "shut up and take my money" impression! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Picked up a Cube Attain GTC race at the weekend for £999

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p66 ... -RACE-2016

Very pleased with it so far , only done 30 miles on it but it seems nice to me!

It was a choice between this and the pro disc but I went for this as I wasn't bothered by having disc brakes and would rather the Ultegra groupset. Also I wasn't a huge fan of the grey and orange but they both seemed great bikes for the money
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    Remember one thing with spiraling values and specs, I started road cycling when I was in my mid forties however there's no point spending thousands of pounds when you only have 100 pound legs! Shimano 105 is suitable for most weekend riders, when you outperform 105 then trade up but in reality a 'lower spec' bike is good enough for most even though our ego feels bruised. Enjoy and ride safe.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP