What kind of bike should I rent?

sam_s1
sam_s1 Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in MTB beginners
Hey all,

I'm just looking to rent for a weekend away. I really know nothing about bikes and could use a hand selecting something that would be suitable for riding in the countryside and not be in complete agony?

There's a list here i'm looking to rent from (as i have money off)

(https://fatlama.com/london-rentals/bike-hire)

Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!

Comments

• TBH,your a complete beginner,so it really don't matter a shite wot you ride,your ass,back,arms and legs are gonna ache.Just enjoy the scenery.The most expensive carbon framed,titanium,unobtainiumed full suss bike ain't gonna make life easy,not for a second.Enjoy the fresh air!!
  • Gotta say what you intend to ride exactly.
    Also, if you're not used to riding for extended periods of time, definitely go buy padded shorts or your ass will never want see the seat of a bike again. I wouldn't go on a long trip without them and I'm a daily rider.
  • It depends on where you are thinking of riding - if it's Glentress, you may as well hire the best bike you can, although even their bog-standard hardtails aren't too bad. I started mountain-biking at Glentress and I hired a Scott Genius M.C.10 - the only "problem" with that was that I ended up buying the same model of bike - I've never regretted buying my Scott, but it can turn out to be quite expensive. I also hired a hardtail from Alpine Bikes a couple of weeks ago, when I was getting a lift from someone with a very small car and no bike-rack, and it was still great fun... What I can't emphasize enough is to DEFINITELY GET SOME PADDED SHORTS - I used to commute about four miles each way on my Genius wearing a suit and it wasn't a problem, but that was on nice, flat roads - the minute you get onto any sort of "off-road" terrain, you are DEFINITELY going to want to be wearing padded shorts.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nonsense. I regularly do 40/50km rides quite happily in baggies.

Your arris needs to MTFU.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Where are you cycling? What terrain? How many miles? If you're in london have you tried the boris bikes just for starters?

Interesting idea about the bike rentals.