Is it dangerous to give it all?

tyw214
tyw214 Posts: 52
edited February 2017 in Road beginners
So this morning, i was cycling through my normal route, and i've always have to cross the Queensboro Bridge in NYC. Normally, I struggle a little on the incline, but today, there was like a huge headwind on the way up, and it made the climb much much harder.

I was tempted to give it my all to beat the wind and maintain my normal speed, but I felt a little trembling in my legs like maybe it could give out... So i am wondering if it's dangerous to keep pushing at that limit? or better yet, how hard should I push on a bike?

Comments

• smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    What's the worst thing that could happen? You have a cardiac arrest and die. But hey! You'll be the last to know so why worry?

If you do give it all and then subsiquently die, can I have your bike?
  • tyw214
    What's the worst thing that could happen? You have a cardiac arrest and die. But hey! You'll be the last to know so why worry?

XD I am more interested to if there are any signs that you shouldn't push anymore on a bike?
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Generally, no ...
    If you're generally healthy then you can push away. Your Heart Rate will be your limiting factor and you'll probably find that you'll fade pretty quickly when pushing "to the max".

However, if you're riding with traffic then I wouldn't push it to the max as your ability to concentrate dimishes the harder you push it - wobbling in front of a vehicle isn't generally a good move ;)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Bags his watch and shoes.

No - it's not dangerous (well, to a normal point) - pushing yourself is fine: I always feel that I've done my best if I start retching: old adage is "if you ain't pukin' you ain't trainin'". Harsh but true.

Just don't get collapse and get run over by a huge truck.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    tyw214 wrote:

XD I am more interested to if there are any signs that you shouldn't push anymore on a bike?

Fainting, constant tachycardia, long term dysponea, hallucinating, collapse, ebolaids, dead disease. Offhand.

But apart from that - you're a lad riding a bicycle through town not doing the Fan dance on selection: I reckon that unless you gaff up or have anything underlying you'll be fine.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    tyw214 wrote:

Fainting, constant tachycardia, long term dysponea, hallucinating, collapse, ebolaids, dead disease. Offhand.

Or worse you could triple crown while a group of schoolgirls look on.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    A medical professional told me yesterday that pain induced by exercise (not things like heart attack, obviously) is really good for your mental health.

If you want to be happy, push as hard as you can. ;)
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    TBH, it's only when I've been in decent nick that I've ever been able to give it all.

I don't know about you guys but half of the 'training' (or just riding around) is about teaching your mind to cope with the suffering that comes with emptying the tank properly.

If you've just started, and you're quite unfit, it's worth paying attention to what you're feeling - big pains in the chest etc aren't ideal. Higher risk of strokes etc when you do heavy exercise when you're unfit.

But once you're relatively fit, there's no reason why you can't really empty the tank properly, though I'd suggest if you think you can do it without much training, I'd say you're not really giving it everything :P.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've heard it said that at the end of a Time Trial it should feel like your kidneys dropped out about 1 mile before the end ... then you know you've given it all... ;)
  • Matthewfalle
    tyw214 wrote:

Or worse you could triple crown while a group of schoolgirls look on.

Yes - the fabled mark of doing it properly.

As in "you didn't triple crown therefore you don't do it properly so go the pissing tree".

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    tyw214 wrote:

But apart from that - you're a lad riding a bicycle through town not doing the Fan dance on selection: I reckon that unless you gaff up or have anything underlying you'll be fine.
    That reference might be a bit wasted on a lad from NYC... there was a time when I fancied a career in the forces, and I did set out and do it one day - 4 hours is easy :D

But seriously - OP, if you don't have a serious pre-existing heart condition then you can't really drop dead from too much exercise. Put it this way - I do, and it's never stopped me (the reassuring words from the cardiologist were "well, if you were going to drop dead from your LVH then you would probably have done so a long time ago").
  • Matthewfalle
    bompington wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

That reference might be a bit wasted on a lad from NYC... there was a time when I fancied a career in the forces, and I did set out and do it one day - 4 hours is easy :D

But seriously - OP, if you don't have a serious pre-existing heart condition then you can't really drop dead from too much exercise. Put it this way - I do, and it's never stopped me (the reassuring words from the cardiologist were "well, if you were going to drop dead from your LVH then you would probably have done so a long time ago").

Selection, assessment, aspiration and dreaming. Slightly different.

Anyhow, he'll be fine. Just smash its doors in.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Need more info. You say "it was LIKE a huge headwind" So if it was only like a headwind what was it?
  • tyw214
    Need more info. You say "it was LIKE a huge headwind" So if it was only like a headwind what was it?

if my front is N, then it was like blowing NNE at an angle, so it's like slightly pushing me toward the left side, while I am trying to go straight <_<

Also, I was wondering will I lose weight from riding bicycle or gain weight from developing muscle from cycling?

I am 5'7", and weighs 147 lb, i'd like to get it down to 140lb.
  • Matthewfalle
    tyw214 wrote:
    Need more info. You say "it was LIKE a huge headwind" So if it was only like a headwind what was it?

if my front is N, then it was like blowing NNE at an angle, so it's like slightly pushing me toward the left side, while I am trying to go straight <_<

Also, I was wondering will I lose weight from riding bicycle or gain weight from developing muscle from cycling?

Mixture - generally lose flab and tone up therefore losing weight but you'll put a bit back on with muscle development.

You'll end up fitter, more toned, lighter, healthier.

Dependent on the extreme you take it to you could either end up like a bad hombre called Michael Rasmussen or just better all round. Mix in some light weights and it'll all be cool.

Either way, it's not going to hurt you unless you get ebolaids.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I've thrown up and lost vision while doing intervals...still here...your body will tell you to stop.
  • benws1
    benws1 Posts: 415
    tyw214 wrote:

Since getting back on the bike in June 2016, ive lost nearly 1 3/4 stone. Dont know what that is in pounds. I'm 6ft 4in tall.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    tyw214 wrote:

Try taking a dump.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    just be careful out there, if you are going to give it all, if your bike has a Shimano HT 4 arm crankset.
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13076474