Come on then, thoughts on the Marin Hawk Hill?

jamski
jamski Posts: 737
edited February 2017 in MTB buying advice
I can demo one for three hours round Swinley Forest before I buy. Costs would be.

£1450 from Swinley new with a new trail helmet (up to £130) thrown in free
£999 from Swinley ex demo
£1200 from somewhere online

Love the fact I can give one a good test before I buy. Also love the way it looks. Gets good reviews, has a decent spec for £1200, perhaps slightly less so for £1450. Like buying local, through an independent shop.

http://www.marinbikes.com/gb/bikes/desc ... -multitrac

Thoughts?
Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two

Comments

• I like it! If you enjoy riding it and it fills all your needs, get one!
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    You can do a lot better for £1200.
    I'd go for the Giant Stance. £100 cheaper and a better fork.
    Or this for £300 less and equally good. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bos ... ke-p347143
  • jamski
    You can do a lot better for £1200.
    I'd go for the Giant Stance. £100 cheaper and a better fork.
    Or this for £300 less and equally good. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bos ... ke-p347143

The 2017 Stance has the RockShox 30 fork. Yes it's the gold version so lighter, but it's thinner and the tk version so no rebound adjustment. Also a 9mm qr on the front wheel not the bolt through like the Marin. Unless I'm missing something?

The Bossnut is always an option, but I have a Calibre now, and although well specced, I'm not overly convinced by their build quality or finish long term.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    For £1,400 I'd be seriously looking at a 2016 Trance 2 from Rutland.
    Only small and medium in stock but a cracker if one of those sizes fits you.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    jamski wrote:
    the tk version so no rebound adjustment.

TK dampers have got rebound adjustment.
    To be honest, bolt through makes very little difference with 32mm stanchions.
  • jamski
    Thanks all. It looks like every brand will have its fans/critics. I'm still keen on the Marin. Will go and demo, then take it from there. I can get it for £1200 online, so if push comes to shove I'll do that. Budget started at £1k so I'm happier nearer that mark than £1500. As stated in another post, it's about what I can justify spending, not what I can afford. With a family, there are other priorities other than bikes.

For me the Marin is well enough specced, and has been designed to be upgraded which I like. I'm on a 14kg hardtail so weight shouldn't be an issue. I'm totally sold on 1x drivetrain now too. The internal routing I like, and the comments on pinkbike from various countries are nothing but positive, along with 'professional' tests being very strong. And lastly, I think it looks great!

Thanks for all the comments, if things change I'll be asking for more advise I'm sure. Cheers.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    No end of issues with my Bossnut, if you can get the hawk hill for less £1200 or less I'd go for that. £1450 is a bit rich though.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017