Race wheels

pedalbasher
pedalbasher Posts: 215
edited February 2017 in Road buying advice
My summer/race bike has a set of Reynolds Assaults, 38mm clinchers. I've had them 3 years and they've been brilliant; can't fault them in any way. I've used them for general riding, club runs, training, trips abroad and racing.

I'm taking the racing more seriously this year, and will be doing a full season of road races and crits. I'm thinking about getting a race-day set of wheels which are a bit deeper (50-60mm). The front would double-up as a front TT wheel - I'll also be doing a number of TTs this year and I don't currently have anything deeper than the Reynolds for my TT bike.

I'm thinking of going tubular given that these will be race wheels only (so limited mileage and no puncture convenience issues). I would then keep the Reynolds and ride them into the ground as training, sportive and club run wheels before replacing with some mid-range clinchers.

Does this sound sensible? Any suggestions, please? I've seen a pair of Easton EC90 Aero 55s for sale at close to half price, and they seem to review very well. But I'm sure there is a whole range of comparable or better deals out there. I've considered going second hand but slightly concerned about lack of warranty etc.

Cheers

Comments

• I would then keep the Reynolds and ride them into the ground as training, sportive and club run wheels before replacing with some mid-range clinchers...

Does this sound sensible?

In fairness no, it doesn't. You have an itch that you want to scratch by flashing your credit card and buy some shiny new gear... fair enough... is it sensible? No, it isn't
    left the forum March 2023
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Not sensible not mad just like using bicycle wheels on a bicycle.

Can't see any problem with it all to tell the truth.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    50/60mm tubs would also work perfect for what you want.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I would then keep the Reynolds and ride them into the ground as training, sportive and club run wheels before replacing with some mid-range clinchers...

In fairness no, it doesn't. You have an itch that you want to scratch by flashing your credit card and buy some shiny new gear... fair enough... is it sensible? No, it isn't

I'm prepared to accept you might be right (which is why I asked the question in the first place), but you haven't given any reason why it isn't a sensible plan. It's not a question of flashing the cash - I'm just weighing up some options to find a (relatively) cost-efficient way of enjoying both my training and racing with the most suitable kit for the job. If you have a better suggestion then please, I'm all ears.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I would then keep the Reynolds and ride them into the ground as training, sportive and club run wheels before replacing with some mid-range clinchers...

I'm prepared to accept you might be right (which is why I asked the question in the first place), but you haven't given any reason why it isn't a sensible plan. It's not a question of flashing the cash - I'm just weighing up some options to find a (relatively) cost-efficient way of enjoying both my training and racing with the most suitable kit for the job. If you have a better suggestion then please, I'm all ears.
    If its really to benefit your racing then bearing in mind you already have some nice expensive carbon wheels spend £1000 on a cycling coach or training camp instead?
  • It is sensible to invest in your health, your happiness or because there might be profit in doing so.

Assuming you will never make a penny out of your racing (which is a reasonable assumption), then the latter is not relevant. Your health won't improve by buying wheels, but your health might improve by having a better training regime/lifestyle which might improve your racing too.
    If racing makes you happy, then it makes sense to invest in trying to become a more accomplished racer. Better wheels won't do that... but they might make you sad if you crash them

As above, if racing is what floats your boat, invest in being better at it
    left the forum March 2023
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Just FYI- original Assault was 46mm and the SLG is 41mm. I'd be annoyed if I was shorted 3mm...

And I would go HED Stinger 60 if I were in your shoes.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • hambini
    hambini Posts: 113
    I wouldn't recommend you go for anything bigger than a 50mm upfront. In cross winds on TT bars, I've had all sorts of problems on my Zipp 808's, it's a really disconcerting feeling.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    hambini wrote:
    I wouldn't recommend you go for anything bigger than a 50mm upfront. In cross winds on TT bars, I've had all sorts of problems on my Zipp 808's, it's a really disconcerting feeling.

You just need more practice. ;)
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg