one pedal stiffer than the other

MTBDanno
MTBDanno Posts: 60
edited February 2017 in MTB general
Recently bought a set of Nukeproof Neutron Evo pedals, haven't used them yet but when I got them out of the box I noticed that one of them doesn't spin as freely as the other. They aren't stiff, but one is clearly stiffer than the other.

Should I send them back or will they wear in with use?

Comments

• Depends on why is one of them stiffer than the other and by how much.

My flat pedals which I bought some months ago were also unevenly stiff. Only noticeable when spun by hand. Didn't affect riding. It went away after 2-3 rides. Why was one of them stiffer? I don't know. Maybe grease wasn't evenly spread, maybe a bit of someone's fingernail was stuck in the bearing and got grinded to bits so small it wasn't causing issues anymore. Either way, the problem was gone. Also, is one too stiff or the other too loose? Who can really say, right?

To finally give you a straight answer - nobody can know whether they're defected or just need wearing in. So just ride them for a bit and see whether the problem persists.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless one is really stiff, you won't notice it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks guys, pretty much confirmed my thoughts. It is still easy to spin by hand, just they are not even. Its not so stiff that it feels like its going to seize up.

Think i'll ride them and see how they feel in a few weeks, if there's a problem, should be able to get replacements under warranty anyway.

Thanks again