Nice route from Westminster to Hampton Wick

imatfaal
imatfaal Posts: 2,716
edited March 2017 in Commuting chat
Calling all you West London sorts ... gonna take a slightly longer lunch one day next week and head over to Sigma bikes; could you suggest a nice route from Queen Anne's Gate area to Sigma bikes in Hampton Wick.

Google suggests Embankment / Kings Road / A3

Comments

• rhodrich
    rhodrich Posts: 867
    Embankment ->Kings Road -> Putney Bridge -> Lower Richmond Road -> Priory Lane -> Richmond Park (Roehampton Gate to Kingston Gate) -> Kingston Bridge.
    1938 Hobbs Tandem
    1956 Carlton Flyer Path/Track
    1960 Mercian Superlight Track
    1974 Pete Luxton Path/Track*
    1980 Harry Hall
    1986 Dawes Galaxy
    1988 Jack Taylor Tourer
    1988 Pearson
    1989 Condor
    1993 Dawes Hybrid
    2016 Ridley Helium SL
    *Currently on this
  • imatfaal
    Rhodrich wrote:
    Embankment ->Kings Road -> Putney Bridge -> Lower Richmond Road -> Priory Lane -> Richmond Park (Roehampton Gate to Kingston Gate) -> Kingston Bridge.

Lovely - thanks.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Why the trip out there? Buying some bling?

We need details!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • imatfaal
    cjcp wrote:
    Why the trip out there? Buying some bling?

We need details!

Nothing interesting I am afraid - I have just taken to getting out for an hour or so every lunchtime on the bike Sometimes it is nice to have a destination in mind. Have been meaning to take a look at some of the new fabric saddles - but that hardly counts as bling.

Of course, now I will end up buying a fully campaged-out italian road-bike just to give myself the lie
  • imatfaal
    Finally lost my Richmond Park virginity :-) I now see why so many people post about it - it is a nice place to ride and there are masses of people riding there.

1300 hours on a Wednesday - and there must have been 40 or 50 people I saw in opposite direction just between Roehampton Gate and Kingston Gate. I do hope they don't ruin those roads by any bike/traffic calming measures.
  • imatfaal wrote:
    Finally lost my Richmond Park virginity :-) I now see why so many people post about it - it is a nice place to ride and there are masses of people riding there.

1300 hours on a Wednesday - and there must have been 40 or 50 people I saw in opposite direction just between Roehampton Gate and Kingston Gate. I do hope they don't ruin those roads by any bike/traffic calming measures.

Yep it's pretty special considering it's inside the M25, very busy at the weekends though, wouldn't recommend after about 9am on a Saturday. Calms down in the evening. At night it's closed to cars :)
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    kingpinsam wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Yep it's pretty special considering it's inside the M25, very busy at the weekends though, wouldn't recommend after about 9am on a Saturday. Calms down in the evening. At night it's closed to cars :)
    ...but not to deer or badgers
    Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • rower63
    rower63 Posts: 1,991
    kingpinsam wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Dolan Titanium ADX 2016
    Ridley Noah FAST 2013
    Bottecchia/Campagnolo 1990
    Carrera Parva Hybrid 2016
    Hoy Sa Calobra 002 2014 [off duty]
    Storck Absolutist 2011 [off duty]
    http://www.slidingseat.net/cycling/cycling.html
  • imatfaal
    rower63 wrote:
    kingpinsam wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Didn't see a single deer - was a bit disappointed; although on the way back my eyes were glued to the back of the peugeot (car not bike) that I was trying to keep up with.

It is special - It's the sort of place you just want them to keep the same - maybe some small incremental changes after a few years thought; but no radical schemes etc
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    imatfaal wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    kingpinsam wrote:
    imatfaal wrote:

Didn't see a single deer - was a bit disappointed; although on the way back my eyes were glued to the back of the peugeot (car not bike) that I was trying to keep up with.

It is special - It's the sort of place you just want them to keep the same - maybe some small incremental changes after a few years thought; but no radical schemes etc

Unfortunately, it seems they're putting a Quietway through the middle, apparently for bikes.

It's not the bikes that are noisy.

No such schemes for cars, though, and that's very disappointing. Lots of good, low cost ideas for reducing the amount of traffic (e.g. keeping the gates closed to cars until after the morning rush hour - say 10am), and closing it early (at say 3.30pm), but these don't seem to fly.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rower63 wrote:
    kingpinsam wrote:

Yep saw another badger in there last night going down the hill from Richmond Gate before the Ham gate crossing. Seems their numbers are growing :|

Today is the last day of the deer cull, but they'll be adding a biannual badger cull before we know it.
  • Now if we could just get a motorist cull as well :)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    I've eaten venison from the annual deer cull - couldn't tell,the difference to "regular" venison. Think I'd have needed a finer palate to pick up up the nuances of extra NOx & Pb flavouring.