question about the CAADs

tyw214
tyw214 Posts: 52
edited March 2017 in Road beginners
So i am looking through these 3 bikes with 105, and I am curious as how they weigh (literal weight) against each other? It seems like CAAD12's aluminum frame is actually lighter than midrange carbon frames like the Synapse? Is that true?

Comments

• brit66
    brit66 Posts: 350
    I've got both: Supersix Evo and a CAAD12. There's no perceptible difference in frame weight, it's the finishing kit and wheels that will determine this. The frame weight in itself won't make you faster on one, over the other.

I’ve not yet ridden the CAAD12 enough to make a worthwhile comparison but I’ll do some back-to-back testing with the same wheels, on the same course, the same day, and in the same conditions. When I do I’ll post on here again.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I have a 2011 CAAD10 105 which is now my winter bike.
    I did own a SuperSix, but I sold it and bought a CAAD12 Ultegra for summer use.
    I think the official difference in frame weight between the supersix and the CAAD12 is about 100g or something like that - about the weight of an inner tube or 100ml of water in your bottle.
    A guy at my LBS has built a CAAD12 that weighs 6.6kg - but TBH it really isn't worth focussing too much on weight alone.
  • tyw214
    Singleton wrote:
    I have a 2011 CAAD10 105 which is now my winter bike.
    I did own a SuperSix, but I sold it and bought a CAAD12 Ultegra for summer use.
    I think the official difference in frame weight between the supersix and the CAAD12 is about 100g or something like that - about the weight of an inner tube or 100ml of water in your bottle.
    A guy at my LBS has built a CAAD12 that weighs 6.6kg - but TBH it really isn't worth focussing too much on weight alone.

I was wondering if the Synapse Carbon 105 would be better or a CAAD12 105 + ~1k fulcrum carbon wheels would be a better choice...

I just went to my LBS who sales CAAD12, one thing I am concerned about is the 52/36 chainring... I am more used to riding like 50/32, and 50/34, not sure the increase to 50/36 is going to be too much for me ;x
  • singleton
    tyw214 wrote:
    I was wondering if the Synapse Carbon 105 would be better or a CAAD12 105 + ~1k fulcrum carbon wheels would be a better choice...

I just went to my LBS who sales CAAD12, one thing I am concerned about is the 52/36 chainring... I am more used to riding like 50/32, and 50/34, not sure the increase to 50/36 is going to be too much for me ;x

Something like a CAAD12 with some decent wheels like Hunt wide aero (£500), 38mm carbon (£950) or Fulcrum quattro carbon (£800) will be an a lot of bike for the money.

The CAAD geometry is a bit more radical than the Synapse, but it's not too bad. If you put 25mm tyres (even better if you go tubeless due to lower pressures) onto modern wide rims then you get a fairly cushioned ride and low rolling resistance.

I wouldn't worry about the 52/36 - I made the switch and it's not much different. Depending on what your rear cassette is now, you may find that you keep the same climbing gear anyway with the new 11 speed.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Doesn't really help, but my CAAD12 Disc Ultegra was 8510g standard without pedals.

Got it down to 7560g with bottle cages, pedals, garmin mount and sensors.
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • tyw214
    anybody know what kind of rotor (center lock or 6 bolt?) and wheel release mechanism the CAAD12 uses? I am probably going to buy wheels for it too if I am going for the CAAD12...

right now i am deciding between the 2016 BMC GF01 105 (heavily discounted) and the CAAD12 disc 105... i know they are different purpose built bikes... I am not sure whose frame is a better buy since I know the main attraction of the GF01 is the carbon frame, but the price of the GF01 is still about $1k over the CAAD12 disc 105
  • ryan_w-2
    CAAD12 disc uses direct mount calipers and come with centre lock discs.

The two bikes you're looking at are VERY different beasts.

One is a comfy tourer and the other a race bread weapon.

Go for the CAAD if you enjoy going fast...

• tyw214
    edited February 2017
    Ryan_W wrote:

are the CAAD12 wheels thru-axels or quick release? the roads in NYC are not very good and a lot of bumpy roads, so I don't know how well the CAAD12 does in those situations.
  • singleton
    Ryan_W wrote:

And remember that carbon bikes melt if they get wet.....
  • tyw214
    Singleton wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

o_o they do...?
  • singleton
    tyw214 wrote:
    Singleton wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

o_o they do...?

Well, maybe not....
  • tyw214
    one more question about the CAAD12 Disc, are the stem/handlebar/seatpost proprietary tech or they are standard?
  • ryan_w-2
    tyw214 wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:

are the CAAD12 wheels thru-axels or quick release? the roads in NYC are not very good and a lot of bumpy roads, so I don't know how well the CAAD12 does in those situations.

They're all QR I believe. Mine certainly were.

• ryan_w-2
    tyw214 wrote:
    one more question about the CAAD12 Disc, are the stem/handlebar/seatpost proprietary tech or they are standard?

105 bikes come with Cannondale C3, Ultegra bikes with C2 and the Dura Ace bikes with C1 components.

• tyw214
    Ryan_W wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

105 bikes come with Cannondale C3, Ultegra bikes with C2 and the Dura Ace bikes with C1 components.

so they can't be replaced by after-market brands?
  • Yes. They're just stems and seatposts. Just get the right size etc.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • tyw214 wrote:
    Ryan_W wrote:
    tyw214 wrote:

so they can't be replaced by after-market brands?

Yes, mine has Pro handlebar/stem
  • mellex
    mellex Posts: 214
    The 2017 CAAD12 seat posts are 25.4 which does limit your aftermarket choices somewhat. Cannondale produce the SAVE Carbon seat post and there is the Hylix Super Light but I haven't found anything else.

Dropouts are QR but remember to ensure that your QR skewers (if you purchase upgrades) are long enough. Disc brake frames require the rear QR to be 5mm longer. Standard 130mm won't tighten down correctly.
  • tyw214
    mellex wrote:
    The 2017 CAAD12 seat posts are 25.4 which does limit your aftermarket choices somewhat. Cannondale produce the SAVE Carbon seat post and there is the Hylix Super Light but I haven't found anything else.

Dropouts are QR but remember to ensure that your QR skewers (if you purchase upgrades) are long enough. Disc brake frames require the rear QR to be 5mm longer. Standard 130mm won't tighten down correctly.

Thanks! this is really helpful!
  • ryan_w-2
    mellex wrote:

I've been running 130mm QR on the rear without any problems at all.

As long as it screws in more than 3 threads you're fine. Skewers do nothing other than clamp the frame to the wheel.

I don't understand these fairies who only recommended using 200g bomb proof skewers.

Both my sets are under 45g and have been faultless.

Also, go for the Save seatpost. One of the best mods I made to mine. 174g once cut down.

• mellex wrote:
    Cannondale produce the SAVE Carbon seat post and there is the Hylix Super Light but I haven't found anything else.

Enve do one but pretty pricey and I'm sure FSA also do a couple.
  • tyw214
    so Today, i went to the LBS to check out my 2 bike choices: BMC 2016 GF01 DISC 105, and the CAAD12 DISC 105. Since the BMC was a 2016 model, they only had a 51cm in stock, which unfortunately is tad too big for me. I am about 167cm and 77cm inseam.

So, which by default I went with the CAAD12 disc in size 48! Following the suggestion, i bought the SAVE PLUS seat post with it, and i should get the bike in about a week!

Now I heard the Maddux wheel on the CAAD12 disc 105 is pretty awful? like 2kg+ without the rotors? I was thinking about buying some Hunts wheels. Anybody have any experience with the Hunts wheels? I am looking at:

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... less-ready

or

https://www.huntbikewheels.com/collecti ... er-jan-wk3

it seems like the main difference is the weight? Will the 120g be noticeable in real life?
  • ryan_w-2
    Go with the Mason x Hunts if you're going to be using the bike all year round.

If a fair weather bike, get the Hunt Aeros at £469 I think. Very light but hubs aren't suited to foul weather really.

• andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    tyw214 wrote:

Now I heard the Maddux wheel on the CAAD12 disc 105 is pretty awful? like 2kg+ without the rotors?
    If they're the same Maddux wheels as on the CAADX, I weighed mine at 2.2kg.
    The wheels I replaced them with are 600-700g lighter (Archetypes, Sapim Race and Hope Pro 2 Evo)
  • tyw214
    Ryan_W wrote:
    Go with the Mason x Hunts if you're going to be using the bike all year round.

If a fair weather bike, get the Hunt Aeros at £469 I think. Very light but hubs aren't suited to foul weather really.

thanks! i just went with the mason x hunts ones.
  • tyw214
    97vrnJx.jpg

Got my CAAD12 Disc 105 today from the shop! Woot! just rode about 10 miles on it, and it was great! Although I did some upgrades. Compare to my Aluminum diverge, the ride is much smoother over the same bumpy pavements I've ridden for the past couple months!

Wheels: Hunts 4season Aero
    Seat Post: SAVE PLUS Carbon
    Saddle: Pro Griffon Carbon
    Rotors: Shimano RT-99 Icetech Rotors, 140mm
    Tires: Conti GP4000S II

One thing though, there seems to be a slight chainrub when I am using 36T(front) and about 19t-21t+ in the back... about the 7-8th cog.... I am already on the trim... ;x anybody have any experiecne with the 105 on a 36/52 and 11-28t setup?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    The chain rub on the 36t front and upper sprockets should NOT be happening.
    It just sounds a bit more FD tweaking required as things - post purchase - especially a mechanical setup.

If you are not happy to DIY via YouTube videos , just get it back to the shop for some relatively quick adjustment.
    FD setup guides are a plenty online.
    If you want to be perfectly frank to them.. sounding like they didnt bother to qc their work on the FD.
  • ryan_w-2
    Looks fantastic mate, wheels really suit it. You'll fall in love with this bike, trust me.

The seat post aids so much with road buzz too, it was one of the best mods I did to mine.

As for the gear issues: It shouldn't be happening, if you are cross training (36-11 or 52-28), then yes, but it shouldn't happen on that gearing. As mentioned above, it will be the front mech that needs adjusting, but I would only fiddle with it briefly now since the cables will stretch over the next week or two, and it will need tweaking again.

• tyw214
    hey guys, another thing I noticed is that my levers i can actually "push" them forward like 5mm. is this some kind of adjustment the mechanics made (like travel adjustment so it's closer to the drop for me) or something is wrong?
  • ryan_w-2
    They're obviously a pretty s**t bike shop....

There is a reach adjustment screw on the shifters but they shouldn't move from their set position.